Discuss How does pump work on shower pan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Anybody know how the water pump in disabled shower pan kicks in and drains away as the water is starting to smell in the outlet. We've just moved in so was wondering do you have to run the shower for the pump in the drain to activate

Normally a flow switch on the shower so yes

As Shaun says, usually a flow switch feeding the shower but if your getting water sat in the tray after use then the pump over run might need adjusting.

What pump is it?

Do you definitely have a pump?

Generally they're not the quietest of things so should be easy enough to locate once it's running.
There is electric that runs to the shower and originally when we viewed the house we could here the gargling noise when the shower was turned off for 20 seconds or so

Take a pic of the electrics to the shower and also the shower waste which is holding water.

Take a pic of the electrics to the shower and also the shower waste which is holding water.

The power breaker is on the landing and the cable runs through the loft to bathroom

There is a duraspeed pump in the airing cupboard which probably serves the shower and ensuite

Two pics of drain one with cover on and one off

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

Hello Batman63,

You have a thermostatic mixer shower (not electric), which looks like it’s pumped, hence the electrics and pump in the airing cupboard. If there was a pump on that waste you should have x2 flow switches to activate the pump, it (The trap) looks shallow, so suggests to me a pump, but I could be wrong. Is there anything in the bathroom that resembles a pump, or can you see any rising pipework at the end of the tray?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Batman63,

You have a thermostatic mixer shower (not electric), which looks like it’s pumped, hence the electrics and pump in the airing cupboard. If there was a pump on that waste you should have x2 flow switches to activate the pump, it looks shallow, so suggests to me a pump, but I could be wrong. Is there anything in the bathroom that resembles a pump, or can you see any rising pipework at the end of the tray?
Hi thanks for the message. I can't see any pipework in the bathroom as behind the mixer shower is sealed with false plastic tiles and no way of getting behind without stripping everything out. All I remember is there was a loud gargling noise when the previous owner turned the shower off for 10-20 seconds which I assumed was a pump getting rid of the water etc. When I put my fingers down the drain it's round and shallow and there's nothing else to feel. When I get chance tomorrow I guess I need to run the shower for at least 30 seconds to as Shaun's message above

Best thing to try first would be to half fill a bucket and pour it down the waste and see what happens. If it disappears try a full bucket, if that disappears then you don't have a pumped waste.

Best thing to try first would be to half fill a bucket and pour it down the waste and see what happens. If it disappears try a full bucket, if that disappears then you don't have a pumped waste.
I guess if it dosen't go away then I need to know how to get the pump,working
Thanks again

Hi thanks for the message. I can't see any pipework in the bathroom as behind the mixer shower is sealed with false plastic tiles and no way of getting behind without stripping everything out. All I remember is there was a loud gargling noise when the previous owner turned the shower off for 10-20 seconds which I assumed was a pump getting rid of the water etc. When I put my fingers down the drain it's round and shallow and there's nothing else to feel. When I get chance tomorrow I guess I need to run the shower for at least 30 seconds to as Shaun's message above

Hello again,

What I meant was the non shower end like in this attachment, usually the pipes are on show or concealed somewhere usually in a cupboard, but accessible. Like you said try what Shaun and Craig have suggested. If it’s a pump though could be something as simple as it’s turned off on a fused spur.

5D579B98-9789-480F-9BDE-2E0CE121AECF.jpeg

Hello again,

What I meant was the non shower end like in this attachment, usually the pipes are on show or concealed somewhere usually in a cupboard, but accessible. Like you said try what Shaun and Craig have suggested. If it’s a pump though could be something as simple as it’s turned off on a fused spur.

View attachment 38828
Thanks again for your advice. There's definitely nothing on display like your photo so I will turn it on and hope for the best
Cheers

Thanks again for your advice. There's definitely nothing on display like your photo so I will turn it on and hope for the best
Cheers
How did you get on Batman, does the shower tray fill up if you leave the shower running?

Reply to How does pump work on shower pan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back