Search the forum,

Discuss How do you tighten a toilet seat with no access to the underside? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScottieA

Hi we have a toilet unlike any I have seen before. The seat has become loose, with normal toilets I know you just tighten it with the bolts underneath the seat. This one however the toilet / ceramic is sealed with no access to the underside. I have looked at the seat itself and it has no plastic caps to flick off in order to access a screw. I am currently out of ideas. If anybody could shed some light on this I would be very grateful.

Some seats fix from above into a plastic insert in the WC pan. You may find that there are covers on the seat fixing that need to be removed before you can see the fixing bolts. These covers may fit over the whole seat fixing so they're not obvious.

Mark

buddy some new seats are fixed thru the hindge of the seat, just pop it off and tighten with a 4mm alan key

some seats have those chrome covers that slide up and round so you can get to the screws underneath might be worth having a look at that, then again i was fitting a hertiage pan and when it was fitted you needed miget hands to get your hand round the back to tighten the seat so god knows how your meant to tighten that up if it comes loose

I hope this helps

:)

Just today i came across your problem, and i had no other option but to take the wall mounted pan off the wall to tighten the the nuts of the seat which were on the underside of the pan, job done happy customer:)

Also had this problem think it was a Roca toilet the back of the pan was flush to the wall so the nuts to the seat were concealed . As said in a previous post only option was to take pan out,tighten the nuts, fit the the pan back in place. jobs a good un.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a special 'blind hole' fixing screw that you can insert from above and tighten without needing access to underneath. Use a pair of these!

They are obtainable from BES, called 'Wellnuts', cat #17054.

Brilliant advice,Hugh. Worked perfectly with a 3mm alan key.

Certainly not necessary to take the whole toilet off the wall as some other experts have suggested.

Did a Imex pan the other week, had hidden buttons on the hinges to remove the seat and lid and underneath was the screw.

tried above with an allen key and worked well after 1 year of a loose seat. used a mirror to check where the hole was at the back of the hinge. toilet type to the floor

I had exactly the same problem of not being able to work out how to tighten the logo seat. It's quite an expensive loo and soft close mechanism. The entire seat can be lifted off by pressing release buttons on the inside of the two hinges. Then you see a stainless steel plate with the lugs on that the seat slots onto. (some have a single s/s plate others have two round s/s caps. You need to gently prise (flat screwdriver - carefully) the stainless steel plate (or caps) off. Then screw tops are revealed each side of the pan which you tighten up (first positioning correctly for the seat). Then replace the stainless steel plate (or cap) and slot the seat assembly onto the lugs. All done in less than 5 minutes. It's magic!

You'll find more up to date threads than this in the main Pluming Forum. But I'm reply to this so we bump it up the list and get the pages indexed correctly because of the new update we've had. So just ignore this if it's all old news.

If you do reply, keep it polite and professional. You can disagree with the above posts, and just be professional with your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you tighten a toilet seat with no access to the underside? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock