Search the forum,

Discuss How do I refill the boiler? - Vaillant ecoTEC pro 28 combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davejohn

Vaillant ecoTEC pro 28 combination boiler - anyone know how I refill the boiler? Problem occured today after electrician did some work and had to turn the power off.

The bar pressure guage shows F22

Manual says the boiler needs filling with water

Having read pages and pages of info. I cannot understand how to fill the system

4.3.2 Checking the system pressure
• Check the water pressure of the system using the
pressure gauge (1) before putting the boiler into operation.
For the heating system to operate properly, the
indicator on the pressure gauge must be in the dark
grey zone when the system is cold. This is a filling
pressure between 1.0 and 2.0 bar. If the indicator is in
the light grey area (below 0.8 bar), fill the system up
with water before putting the boiler into operation.

there are two grey valves under the boiler housing, rescessed into the plastic tray.
open the left one then open the right one.
you will hear water flowing.
keep your eye on the pressure gauge and tap lightly occasionally as the needle tends to stick. take it up to 11/2 bar, the instructions are in the installation - commissioning part of the manual.
word of caution, the valves can lock open and will not fully close (past experience) over -pressurising the system and then causing blow-of and knacering the valve £70 i think for one of those. i think you will be ok but you never know???????/.

Under the housing, is a label: EXTERNAL PIPE CONNECTIONS
with 5 pipes
CH FLOW
DHW OUTLET
GAS SUPPLY
COLD WATER MAINS INLET
CH RETURN
No obvious grey valves although there is a MAGNICLEAN with 4 black valves in and out and around it.

The
the installation and servicing manual, part 5.4 is not obvious to me I'm afraid. Need layman's terms.?? Please?
Thanks.

could you take a photo of the underside of the boiler and post it on here, maybe easier to point it out to you?

yup,
the ecotec plus is the one with the built in filling loop.
yours is the pro.
so there is facillity for filling by a removable or fixed braided loop connected to the cold feed/mains pipe 15mm and the ch/flo pipe 22mm,
you need to locate this connection. it may be in/under a cupboard out of site but always accesible. take a pick of under boiler and piping.

Hope this pic is visible.

Attachments

• 100_4523a.jpg
    100_4523a.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 336
The manual says something about 'join a hose between the cold water dispensing valve and the filling pipe of the heating system......' If that's the case then I think I'm stuffed!!

take some pic's following the pipework as far as you can please.

we will resolve before bedy-bys

Takes ages reducing pic res. but here they are.

Attachments

• 100_4524a.jpg
    100_4524a.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_4525a.jpg
    100_4525a.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 358
  • 100_4526a.jpg
    100_4526a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_4527a.jpg
    100_4527a.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_4528a.jpg
    100_4528a.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 163
By the way, I'm sure you know though, that's a water softener system underneath. Perhaps I need to turn the valves off, on that to bypass it, but I've forgotten now how to do that and it's too late to ring my son and ask him.

Although I will if I have to as I need a shower in the morning as I have an interview to attend.

picture 2 ...the braided hose, open both black handled valves until the pressure guage shows 1.5 bar, your looking to keep the needle in the dark grey area

Flexi is the filling loop from cold main to CH(should be)
Should have check valves fitted on water softener

Didn't you spell that last word wrong Redsaw!!!!

Done that, it worked, went a bit high to 1.7 - is that okay?

Many thanks, I've been so depressed all evening worrying about the extra costs. Thank you, thank you. TINA XX

Oh no, not the rads again! Will have to wait till the morning now. Yep, I know how to do them so long as they haven't got to be done in any set order! Ta.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.7 bar is fine. make sure they are closed of tho.

can you post your adress so i can send the bill. lol:D

no i did not mis-spell, otherwise it would be removed ha.ha:D

Isn't the filling loop mean't to be removed after use?

Sure you can have my address:

c/o

will Colchester Zoo do? This place (home that is) has been a bit like this for a while.

Many thanks again. I know where to come in future. Found this site on a general search, same as I did looking for step-by-step instr's on how to change a dimmer switch to an ordinary one. I'm learning something new every day.

It's great on here.

So I am also having a problem F22 + F28. Bar was near end so opened the values and it went up, boiler started working now it's gone off again with error F28.

Hi,

I have this boiler, but don't have any valves that I can see underneath to refill to get the pressure up like they have in previous posts - the manual just tells me to add water but I cannot see how? Any idea if this is something you need to do from the controls? (Just bought a house with this boiler and it the hot water has stopped a week in - oh joy!)

Thanks,

Chris

Hello there. I've got the same problem but I can't find any taps to turn that are attached to my boiler. The pipes go down behind the cupboards and I can't access them without tearing up the kitchen (it's a rental property, so I'm not really likely to tear up the kitchen on a whim.

However, there are pipes going into the boiler, some of which look like they may have fittings for a tap, which just isn't there. I don't want to go screwing and unscrewing things blindly, so any advice would be much appreciated. I've attached pictures of the underside of the boiler so that ye all know what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Pat.

photo.JPGIMG_10.jpg

Have a look in the cupboard underneath the boiler,there may be a fill loop fitted in the back of it or underneath it behind the kick board.

Thanks for your response. I'm getting a bit frustrated sitting round here with no heating or hot water. However, when I empty the cupboard it's all sealed up. As is the kick board. In the cupboard under the sink there's just the stopcock for the water. Might it be anywhere else? Or can I do anything with those pipes I have a picture of?

Have a look in the cupboard underneath the boiler,there may be a fill loop fitted in the back of it or underneath it behind the kick board.

It is a metal braided hose with normally black handled valves connected on either end that you are looking for. Try the other kitchen cupboards, failing that any other cupboards in the house. Do you have an upstairs cupboard that may have at one time contained a hot water cylinder? It's unlikely but the filler could be there.

Thank you again for your help. It's much appreciated. I'm in a one-bedroom flat, so there's not many places this thing can be hiding. My guess is that it's boarded up behind the tiling beneath the boiler or the space behind the cupboard. Unfortunately they're all sealed up (although I've just discovered a little screw on the tiling. I'm not sure quite what that does, is it possible that's linked to the tap?). I don't want to go knocking these things down unless I know for sure the stuff I need is back there. There's supposed to be a plumber coming out within the next few hours according to the housing association, but I'm not holding my breath.

Is there a way to remove that tiled boxing?

I had the plumber over and he had a go at it. Apparently it's not easily removable so I've to wait till tomorrow to talk to someone from the housing association to get permission to get it smashed in. Seems it's likely to be hidden behind there.

For shame.

Thanks for all your help though!

dont need permission,
the landlord is breaking the law by boxing in compression fittings on the gas supply pipework to the the boiler.
these cannot be inspected properly so i doubt your gas safe cert has been done to the book either.

your landlords a plonker boxing it in like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I refill the boiler? - Vaillant ecoTEC pro 28 combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock