Search the forum,

Discuss how do i get into plumbing/help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paulbrogden2007

hello guys i hope some one can give me real advise and not be nasty about it. as some plumbers refuse to help and in fact ive seen posts where some one has asked for advise but got nothing but abuse i supose some plumbers regard people getting into plumbing as competition.

any way here goes im looking for a career been working in call centers for the past 3 years previous to that i did college studing film and graphic design which went no where previous to that i was doing mig welding and fabrication and manufacturing. any way im looking to train up but looking at the nvq structure it could take 5 years if i did it part time. their is a course being run by dewsbury town hall paid by the job center im going for an interview on the 18th. but its only run for 37 weeks. running for just 2 days a week i need advise how can i get to be a plumber i have applied on some apretance courses with kirklees council and leeds homes but not hered any thing for months.

please could you advise me im 30 unemployed and wondering if the course is any good even if i get on it as i supose many people will be going their and i think their will be a test to do. im a little dyslexic so i hope the test is not too hard.

i would like to here from real plumbers in the trade and students. if you can post a reply i be very gradeful if you do can you state if your a student or a fully qualifyed plumber and thanks for your advise.

Maybe I can help...

Best place to start really is a one day a week college course. Here in London, alot of the distinguished firms such as Pimlico Plumbers won't even look at you if you have got your qualifications quickly such as a crash 10 week course etc. So the one day a week day release is your best bet. I loose around £5,000 for that tuesday every week I go to college but what I learn there is worth it's weight in gold.

Unless you have been a Plumber for 5 years, you really need to start with the Technical Certificate in Plumbing Level 2. This is done at college solely and will give you the skills and knoweledge to become a Plumber.

I have just started year 2 of the Level 2 Technical Certificate but have completed almost all of the workshop based assignment and am really just turning up to take exams.

The Qualification you need is the Plumbing NVQ level 2, this will get you work within a company. This can be done alongside the Technical Certificate as it is purely based at work (your vocation). Someone on my course did theirs last year and it took them 6 weeks to complete through site visits and personal job records.

After the two years it takes to complete this (well, 72 days of college) I highly recommend going onto level 3 of the Tech Cert and the NVQ. It will give you a much better chance of getting work over other plumbers and will also ensure you are completely competant in your profession.

After this, you could take the welding tickets and join firms that do commercial work, apparently the bigger the pipe - the better the money.

Or you could train as a Gas Engineer becoming Corgi Registered or whatever it will be called after 1st April 2009 when it is passed to Capita for regulation.

The Gas bit is the part I'm trying to find out how to do, so if you get any information let me know. I believe there are courses for it - either ACS or CCN1 or something.

Good Luck.

Ben Wood
AQUA MECHANICA

thanks for the advise im grateful you took the time to write a responce many people have been reading my post but not posting comments which is really disapointing as we all have to start some where. as for what you discused yes your right doing nvq level1 2 3 and then gas is i would like to do however their is a problem with that. in order for college to cosider you to do nvq level 2 and 3 and so on you have to be employed in the industry. here in the north leeds college of building do an evening course but to do any thing above level 1 you have to have a job in the industry. its a pitty i tryed to get on a 30 week 2 day a week assett cours2e run by build but so many people was let in on the day when the doors should had been shut at 10 oclock that i stood little chance of getting on the course i do have dyslexia but they were assessing people who got over 65% and above i complained and retook the test and got 67% and did well on the interview but i fear that due to the amount of time from when the test took place and me retaking the test and doing the interview i fear i dont have a chance of getting on the course as their assessing people all on a plain level field which is not far to people who has learning difficulties i feel the course has broken equal opunities excuss my spelling. so my options to train up to become a plumber looks limited. it does seem to me colleges and the govument are saying plumbers are needed but plumbers on the other hand are saying they they are not needed they say not enough work is out their. as in regards to what you said i all ready have a rsa in fabrication and mig welding that i did in 1996 im doing a refreser course on mig/tig/arc/gas welding at huddersfield to just keep my options open i did think about doing welding while i learn plumbing on evenings .what do you think about that?

Well to be honest, when I applied for college, I only applied for the technical certificate because I didn't have a job in Plumbing - at the time I was working in a Bathroom Showroom selling sanitaryware.

Once I got onto the course, I found myself a job "house bashing" through a friend of my dad's, which was extremely fortunate.

Once on the course, I found out that I could do the NVQ at the same time - when I thought I'd have to complete the entire Tech Cert before I could start the NVQ.

As most plumbers will tell you, NVQ stands for "Not Very Qualified", it's good to have the qualification on paper to get a job but it is extremely easy to do - just hassle. So don't panic about doing the NVQ immediately.

I have a friend who is a bus driver and in the second year of his Technical Certificate and regularly attends college every wednesday.

You don't have to be a Plumber to do a tech cert, the tech cert for all intensive purposes - is Plumbing training, it is learning the trade.

For the NVQ you do have to be carrying out domestic plumbing works and be knoweledgeable as it has no training at all. Which is why to qualify for an NVQ, you need 5 years Plumbing experience or currently on a Tech Cert training course.

With regards to getting into a college, I just bulldosed my way in. I was working for a friends brother for a few weeks labouring and he phoned the college and pleaded desperation to get me on the course saying that it was vital for me to keep my job with him - which at the time, probably wasn't too far from the truth. You really do have to chase them down and be nagging, just keep phoning until they let you on to shut you up.

As for a job, get on a building site doing whatever you can, and start to Network with the Plumbers. Get yourself known by the foreman/supervisor, then tell them that plumbing is something you're keen to do and maybe after a bit of relationship building - they'll help you out and put a good word in. If you have arc weilding certs, get on with a pipefitting/mechanical services firm, they usually have a plumbing division.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I can help...

Best place to start really is a one day a week college course. Here in London, alot of the distinguished firms such as Pimlico Plumbers won't even look at you if you have got your qualifications quickly such as a crash 10 week course etc. So the one day a week day release is your best bet. I loose around £5,000 for that tuesday every week I go to college but what I learn there is worth it's weight in gold.

Unless you have been a Plumber for 5 years, you really need to start with the Technical Certificate in Plumbing Level 2. This is done at college solely and will give you the skills and knoweledge to become a Plumber.

I have just started year 2 of the Level 2 Technical Certificate but have completed almost all of the workshop based assignment and am really just turning up to take exams.

The Qualification you need is the Plumbing NVQ level 2, this will get you work within a company. This can be done alongside the Technical Certificate as it is purely based at work (your vocation). Someone on my course did theirs last year and it took them 6 weeks to complete through site visits and personal job records.

After the two years it takes to complete this (well, 72 days of college) I highly recommend going onto level 3 of the Tech Cert and the NVQ. It will give you a much better chance of getting work over other plumbers and will also ensure you are completely competant in your profession.

After this, you could take the welding tickets and join firms that do commercial work, apparently the bigger the pipe - the better the money.

Or you could train as a Gas Engineer becoming Corgi Registered or whatever it will be called after 1st April 2009 when it is passed to Capita for regulation.

The Gas bit is the part I'm trying to find out how to do, so if you get any information let me know. I believe there are courses for it - either ACS or CCN1 or something.

Good Luck.

Ben Wood
AQUA MECHANICA
Hi there,
I have joined this forum today.I want to do one day course for plumbing.I searched alote but could not find one.Actually my frien did this course and then did gas course for ACS.This is short cut.please guide me towards one day a week collages.I will be really thanful to you.

Well, I got into plumbing after I qualified and worked as a graphic designer. So we have that in common! I'm 30 years old too!

Luckilly for me, my Dad and brother are plumbers and run a small business. So I started working for them, I also studied at college 1 day a week and earnt my NVQ 2.

I just studied for and passed my ACS and CCN1. So now I'm gas qualified too. That course was 10 days long and cost me £2000!

I think college can only show you so much. I was lucky enough to have family to teach me. There is a world of difference between the classroom and some ones home!

I would ask around at local plumbers merchant, for someone looking for a 'mate'. Be prepared for a wait though! It's easy to call yourself a 'plumber' but to be a good one takes a few years. I still have loads to learn and I'm 6 years in. So be prepared to work hard. Good luck mate.

If i was doing it again i would consider doing a 2 week crash course at £400 per week. You would probably learn most of the practical stuff from the C & G in that. Unless you want to go the whole hog (I have tec cert 2, and my own business, with no desire to go any further) consider this option.

If you train fast track your certificate isnt worth spit anyway, cause no one is going to employ a 'course cowboy'!

Get these books and learn it yourself - the exams are a pain in the ars with a lot of pointless crap in them that you will never use, and are desined to confuse you with unrelevant rubbish (what color fire extinquisher, for what kind of fire . . . )

Plumbing NVQ & Technical Certificate Level 2 Student Book: 2nd Edition: JTL: Amazon.co.uk: John Thompson: Books

"Reader's Digest" Plumbing and Heating Manual Readers Digest: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Seriously consider saving youself a lot of time and money - particulaly if you are more practically minded . . .

C & G is over rated. Get some experience for a couple of years, and then it is maybe more worth considering the tech.certs.

Here is an example of a provider offering more affordable ( an less anally retentive) training . . .

Plumbing Course - Plumbing Training

Good luck!

sorry to say the shortage of plumbers has been massivly overhyped mainly by the training companies who saw it a quick way to grab max cash in shortest time
there is no shortage of plumbers now and the chances of a company taking on a fast tracker is very slight
this is not a trade you can do a 6 week course on and come out a skilled plumber,there are loads of billy bodgits
if you really want to be a plumber then do a course but be prepared for low wages and a long wait for employment as self employed for a new plumber is not ideal

i dont wona be a plumber i just wona know if theres a course to issue gas cerificates etc

gas is even harder there are plenty of courses but you need to either have a plumbing qualification or do a gas foundation course and also find an engineer who will let you work alongside them while building a portfolio of evidence and then you will be able to train and do the acs course
not many engineers want you to work alongside them as you will then be another competitor when you have ur acs
so no there isnt a course to issue gas certificates you have to study for them and build a portfolio showing your competency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how do i get into plumbing/help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock