Search the forum,

Discuss How do I fix a flue damper in the open position? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jock Spanners

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening all,
I've been to service a gas fire and found it had a flue damper plate which isn't permanently fixed. They only want to keep the gas fire for a short while until they get a wood burner. My question is: how do I fix the damper plate in a 'permanently open position'? Is there a recognized method?

Thanks,
Jock

remove the damper or bolt it open

No
You have to make it completely safe, or remove it. Makes no difference if is only for a short while. If it’s having a wood burner at a later date, it will have to go anyway.
Geind the hinge off or hammer and cold chisel will smash the hinge off.

Break it off or fix it permanently. It will be cast iron so a good belt with a lump hammer should see it off. Hit it in the hinges. Quite often they will lift off as they are mortared onto the top of the back flue.

Reply to How do I fix a flue damper in the open position? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock