Search the forum,

Discuss How can I gain employment with no experience when all jobs require experience?! Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil79

I have recently qualified in domestic gas service and installation with ACS accreditation and am finding it impossible to get a job!

All jobs require experience.. I need a job to get experience and so it goes on!

I have wrote many speculative letters to companies offering to work on a low salary until I gain the necessary experience, I have even offered to work on a voluntary basis to gain experience yet to no avail!

I am reluctant to go off and work alone, with being newly qualified I feel the best route is to have some sort of support (workmates) to hand for questions etc.

Can anyone offer any ideas or help:confused:

Re: How can I gain employment with no experience when all jobs require experience?! H

bull sh*t your way in. thats what everybody does:D

Re: How can I gain employment with no experience when all jobs require experience?! H

Don’t lie just exaggerate the facts how much experience do you have (I have a years experience) they don’t need to know it was in a class room, what sort of things have you done (just list the things you did to gain your qualification) ect, ect, ect

Hi Phil
Don't worry! It's tough when you start, but its about building confidence.
We've all been there, I would advise to get the best understanding of how components work (this will give you confidence) then go self employed.
You will make mistakes, but this is how you learn, (Just remember to work safe ie, tightness testing before and after cracking a joint (not a spliff:D) and appropriate spillage testing).
Make the client feels you are doing everything in you power to fix the problems.
Also boiler manufactures do one day boiler courses that help you fault find (potterton do a good generic course).
Honeywell do a good Tech booklet (free) that helps diagnos external controls ie room stats etc...... there number is 08457678999.

All the best!

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

my son is in same position
has ccn1/cen1/ckr1/cpa1 and energy effiecency but needs practical experience and self confidence..he is working as a sub contract plumber but would love some practical boiler experience
being only just 20 his confidence isnt high but nice comment andrew some people can just be dismissive

Why not try British Gas Training Academy www.britishgasacademy.co.uk
They take on non qualified and newly qualified engineers into the SfL route, which is great to build up the experience. Worth a shot,

Cheers
Sean

I think BG acadmay may be a step backwards. Write to your local gas engineers and offer free help. Soon as you know it you can start charging for your services. Don't bother ringing them as from past experience the phone has just been put down to half a dozen callers wanting him to advertise or get anew mobile phone or give to an obscure charity.

even if you work for nothing you might not get any work offers there is the insurence liability of the person you are helping to think of.as to bull**** your way in you will soon be exposed for that most plumbers and plumbing employers soon realise your level of competance or lack of it .times are hard in the plumbing industry at the moment,never mind 30000 jobs on offer i would be surprised if there were 300 look on the internet .

Hi all (just joined, 1st post)

Phil, sounds like were in the same boat. Mine was a 6 month full time coarse, got Acs qualifications.. CCN1, CKR1, CEN1, MET1, CPA1, UN1, SOL1, PART L, PART P full scope A... but with only 12 weeks 'out on the patch', most of which was servicing and repair (very little on install), I dont feel at all confident or happy about going into peoples homes.

Ive sent out over 100 letters and rang lads but had no results. Also offering volunteer work. Im about to get Gas Safe Registered on 3 month trial and get my own public liabilty insurance hoping that this might improve my chances to get on board with someone who has experience. paid or unpaid.

Meanwhile im seeing someone at 'buisiness innovations' who is helping me with a buisiness plan for fundings, advice etc which im finding to be very helpful. I figure I can at least do some servicing, maybe repair work untill I gain more experience in installation.

Im going to try manufactures for their day coarses as Andy suggested and read up on manufactures instructions (easy to find on internet), also pester mates and peope I know to look into their appliances as a start!

Cheers
Mik

as stated on here day in day out you can not remove the cover on the boiler

sorry

when I am on the gas safe register?

this is realy not your fault or the employers fault,he has to make shore everyone he sends to do a job can do it,as he can end up in court as well as the fitter for any wrong doing.his insurence company will also be unpleased if in court he is accused of employing people who although hold relevant papers clearly did not have the experience to cary out the job(he has a duty of care to his clients)he could send a more experienced fitter with you but twice the cost to him .in these days not viable.you and him both between a rock etc.i do not know the answer to this as things pick up the problem may well fade away .as going forward we will need more plumbers but at the moment it is bad all round.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tell them you have years of experience playing Super Mario Brothers.

so even if someone is gas safe but new ie not much experience does this mean they can not work alone ?

no they can work alone
i am in the middle of doing my acs but i have explained to the other guys on my course its the experience that counts all that acs does is prove your safety/competence but that doesnt mean you wont make a mistake once out there in the jungle

the law requires you to be competent and a member of a registered body at the moment gas safe. your acs assesments are considered to be the competency test in which case you may work on the installations you have your acs in.
if you have your acs and are incompetent that would present an interesting case in court of law!!
lack of experience does not equal incompetence

we all start with no experience. remember your first solo boiler service and the mistakes you made. i do.

shaun

four years at colleges , one day, two nights a week, and a full time job equals
competent.

not one boiler install
one drop test
one services etc

when the newbie plumber /trainee install the boiler
does the gas safe plumber check the internal works is install correct ?
if not who is liable ,if death happens who goes to jail.
it seem this is one reason some plumbers don't take you on work experience.
the risk and the time

problem with this system in many ways poor plumbers and gas fitters
lets reverse 40 years and start again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How can I gain employment with no experience when all jobs require experience?! Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock