Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water only warm when on "timed" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonathan451

Hi to all and thank you for reading!

We are renting a 40 year old country cottage and approximately 2 months ago we noticed the hot water only seemed "warm" when we set the boiler to work on "auto" ie "timed". When on constant the water seems properly hot.
We have an oil-fired Danesmoor 15/19 boiler, it seems to be heating the radiators just as well as ever. The radiators are the same temp on "timed" and on constant. We have a tank in the airing cupboard which also has an immersion system - this seems to work ok although if left on the water seems to get hotter and hotter until it is almost scalding. I would love a little advice as our landlord is quite elderly and relies on me to organise any work done on the house so I like to understand the problem before asking him to sign a cheque for any work done. I may not have given enough information about the system but if more is needed I will try and get it. I wondered if there is any simple adjustment I could try before calling for help. Prior to 2 months ago - the hot water was beautifully hot when on timed - summer and winter (we have been in the house about 18 months).
Any ideas gratefully received - thanks
Jonathan

What times do you set the timer at? i.e what time does it come on in the morning and then go off. what time does it come on in the evening and go off? Has your cylinder got a jacket on? Is hot water needed during the day? i.e your at work and the missis is at home?
If as you say, when you use the immersion heater, the water gets hotter and hotter until its scalding then that is a serious problem and you need to get the immersion stat replaced, preferably with a cut off device.
Also, do you have a cylinder stat that may have accidentally been turned down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay - thanks for responding Mark
Timer set to come on at 05.30 until 07.30 and then 17.00 until 19.00.
In the past with this setting, there was plenty of hot water for a shower first thing and then washing-up, etc through the day. On a day of heavy usage we might notice it running out at 2-3pm and then we knew we simply had to wait until 5.30pm for more.
The cylinder does have a jacket on. Hot water is required during the day but minimal. We have a young baby! Not sure about a cylinder stat - have had a look at the cylinder and can't see anything obvious - any tips on where it may be or what it looks like. I will get someone in to check the immersion stat and test/replace it. Thanks

A cylinder stat will be strapped directly to the cylinder by way of a net curtain type cable or similar. Have a look under the jacket (unless of course the cylinder has the spray on lagging type in which case some will be cut away for the stat to make contact with the copper).
Have you tested the hot water by having it on constant? If so and there is no problem, then why not leave on constant, it can be more economical as your boiler will only cut in now and again to boost up the hot water, rather than heating up a cylinder full of cold water.
Let us know how you get on.

If once you've tested the cylinder stat. I would suggest you get up at 5.30am (yawn) and feel the flow and return pipes where they enter the cylinder and check they are getting very hot. If not there could be a problem with the three way valve not opening correctly.
Im sure other members may make a suggestion on your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water only warm when on "timed" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock