Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water in the loft header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

1st post. I have a gas C/H with a gravity feed to the hot water secondary circuit. Several times a day I hear bubbling/gurguling sounds (that may coincide with the room thermostat demanding heat). Checking the C/H header tank in the loft, I can feel that the tank is hot. There is a pressure relief pipe from the feed to the secondary H/W circuit going to the loft "up and over" the C/H tank that hangs over the top of tank. The pipe is open ended and several inches above the water level. I assume the header tank water is hot due to water surging up the relief pipe.
Is this anything to worry about?
As a secondary question, if you don't mind, several years ago I had a tall radiator fitted in the bathroom replacing a short rad that was connected to the secondary H/W heater circuit. As resulted with the feed to the top of the rad connected to the secondary circuit in the loft space (but is below the bottom of the header). This connection point is the same pipe as the "up and open" pressure relief pipe.
The bathroom rad never gets hot throughout, with just the top section getting hot. This seems to indicate the rad flow is intermittent and top-down. On a gravity fed H/W system should the heat supply enter at the top or bottom of the secondary circuit. Thanks.

Reply to Hot water in the loft header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock