Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water from all taps except kitchen cold. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi, I have been asked to look at a Ln issue this evening.

Customer said she has hot water coming from all cold taps as well as the hot taps. Except the kitchen cold tap-this is fine.

Ive asked if she has had any work done recently and she said something about a new boiler but she is elderly and sounded a bit confused. I'm assuming the cold taps that are running hot are fed from a cwst and kitchen is off mains which is why it's OK.

I'm going to check the cwst first and see what the water temp is like in there and check the cylinder stat.

What else would you be thinking about if you had this issue?

Thanks

If all but the kitchen tap are tank fed cold then first thing to check would be temp of water in cwst as you suggest. This makes sense as the kitchen tap is the only one that has to be mains fed.
Could also be hot/cold crossover at a mixer tap/shower, if they're both tank fed the higher head would win. But I think you're onto a winner looking at the cwst first.

I went there earlier this evening. old thermostatic shower which isnt being used. The outlet has been capped. Bat/shower mixer and a sink mixer. No iso valves anywhere. The hot water coming from the cold taps is hot not lukewarm.

I had a look in the loft and the water in the tank was warm (not hot), I could see the hot coming back in to the tank.

I'm going back tomorrow evening to cap the shower supplies and fit nrv's to the kitchen and bath hot supplies. I might not need to fit on one the bath as the cold is from the tank.

Does that sound right?

Last edited:
New mixer tap with mains cold could be faulty (maybe only can be kitchen in your job?)
Or coil in cylinder gone if heating is vented type and with f&e tank higher than cwt.

The shower is mains fed also. F and E sat on same platform as cwst.

None of the mixer taps are new. Could be cylinder coil actually. I didnt check that. I'm going back tomorrow and will check that first.

The shower is mains fed also. F and E sat on same platform as cwst.

None of the mixer taps are new. Could be cylinder coil actually. I didnt check that. I'm going back tomorrow and will check that first.

With tanks being on same base, the f&e tank would overflow first if coil in cylinder gone, so probably rule that out.
Looks like it is kitchen or shower mixer, or a blending valve faulty

Reply to Hot water from all taps except kitchen cold. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water (mains) from downstairs tap but no hot water from downstairs tap, and no water at all from all the upstairs taps, I have a combi boiler and no water storage
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M
Got intermittent hot water coming the from a combi boiler to kitchen mixer tap when it hits the T junction for the upstairs bath it's hot, but on the other of the T junction to the kitchen mixer tap it's stone cold, anyone any ideas ?
Replies
Views
Plumber had fitted a new mono kitchen tap. The hot water takes ages to get hot if at all. The on lever hadn’t much turn on it and it’s at full throttle. Also when I point tap to bowl with fairy liquid in, it doesn’t have enough power to make bubbles
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I can sometimes recover the usual water pressure by turning the hot and cold water taps on and off which seems very strange to me. There is no problem...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock