Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Hot water for Showers in a HMO (Shared House) in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. JohnP2500

JohnP2500 New Member

Hi All,

I am part way though converting a property into a House of Multiple Occupation. It will have 6 bedrooms (and six showers). It's my 1st conversion of this size so I have made a couple of school boy errors!

I had new GCH installed last year (Glow worm 30c). This provides heating and hot water to taps only.

Originally I planned to have 4 Electric showers and run 2 from the boiler.

At the moment I have finished 3 rooms, they have electric showers. The electrician is not keen to install a fourth electric shower. When the boiler was installed it was mentioned that the pressure was crap (not sure what it is) the flow is about 1o litres/Min.

In retrospect I should have increased the incoming main size (it's 15mm). It would be a right pain to do it now.

So the question is what to install to provide hot water for the 3 remaining showers. I have heard a lot about Mega Flow systems, but these don't seem to increase pressure?

Could I run the 3 showers from the boiler? (it's unlikely 3 people would shower at once)
    Do I install one large water heater or 3 smaller ones?

Obviously I will be getting quotes and getting all work done professionally but I am struggling to know what to get quotes for?

I'm in Torquay so if anyone is interested in the work let me know. Thanks John

2. dancinplumba

dancinplumba Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Anyone near Torquay ? there are solutions, the installer should suggest what to install

3. Level 2 student.

Level 2 student. New Member

I wonder why your sparky doesnt want to install a 4th electric shower.

4. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Pushing it with 2. Once installed 2 in one house, sparky used a relay to ensure only 1 could be used at once.

Watts = Amps x Volts

So 4 x 10.8kw showers equates to 43,200 ÷ 230 = 188 amps. Normal supply is 100 amps.

Don't forget lights, tv, fridge, freezer etc etc.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

not a hope in hell

time to upgrade the mains or fit a break tank and pump

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JohnP2500

JohnP2500 New Member

I've only got 8.5kw showers. Then relying on divergence? aka fingers crossed they don't all shower at once!

7. ShaunCorbs

theres still about 140 amps you would need 3 phase power

• Like Like x 1
  8. JohnP2500

JohnP2500 New Member

Is a break tank the same as an accumulator?

9. ShaunCorbs

no why do you ask has he suggested fitting one?

10. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Try explaining pot luck to national grid when you keep popping the main fuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ShaunCorbs

a m20 bolt should sort that out :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. JohnP2500

JohnP2500 New Member

No, I'm trying to get an idea of possible solutions and had seen that an accumulator may be a solution?

13. ShaunCorbs

whats the internal pipework dia?

14. JohnP2500

JohnP2500 New Member

It's all new 15mm.

15. ShaunCorbs

accumulator wont help as your issue is your internal pipework flow capacity, sorry to say only decent way that will work is repipe

• Winner Winner x 1