Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water flow is poor want to improve it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacon_sandwich

Gas Engineer
Hi guys, be gentle as although i am GSR, i am not a plumber. Ok this is my house. The kitchen hot tap has always been disappointing as its flow is rubbish and hot water takes ages to come through. Its vented cyl located ground floor, kitchen is on first floor and cold tank is above ceiling of 2nd floor. All hot taps / shower and bath on ground floor are wonderful. There are only two taps on first floor , kitchen and small toilet. No taps on 2nd floor. Recently had the kitchen replaced and the sink has been moved and as such the pipe work for the sink has extended further. Now the kitchen hot tap is more than disappointing.
What are my options?
Could i pump just the kitchen tap or do you need to pump from the cyl
many thanks

What's the toilet like (same floor a kitchen) ?

can you take a picture of the kitchen tap , the tap might not be suited for gravity hot water , or arrangement of pipework poor, slowing the flow down

Just checked it, its better than the kitchen.
Kitchen flow is 2.38Lpm and it was slightly better than it sometimes is when i just measured it

toilet is 3.46Lpm

20171023_203947.jpg

i would say its the tap, suitable for low pressure?

Mixer tap looks like a pull out spray nozzle type?
Bloody awful flow on gravity hot with those and many ordinary mixers not much better.

No idea, supplied and fitted by kitchen people, we chose it from a catalogue. Is there a way to check?

yea change the bloody thing looks cheap and nasty so dont think it will be good for low pressure, its not branded any where?

Pull out nozzle types I think are all only rated for high pressure. They are very restrictive.
Ordinary modern 1/4 turn kitchen mixers are generally poor enough poor, although some strangely are okay.
The flexi hose tails are small bore, then the body of tap is same and the ceramic works have only a small max opening. Then the spout really adds to the restriction - particularily due to the hot having to go through a small bore pipe in middle of spout, - which on pull out type is a flexi. Add to that an airator at end which can be only for high pressure. Check the airator isn't partially blocked by unscrewing it

Or any gravity rated tap

I find you never know with an unfamiliar new tap how good the flow is going to be until you turn the water back on.
The bar rating can be misleading.
If the spout looks wide, generally a good sign.
Life was easier when we had full flow mixer taps years ago and no ceramic works

Good old washer eg1010 taps

OK tap is poo. Update. The cold water feed is not above the ceiling of 2nd floor its actually in a cupboard on 2nd floor probably just 2.5 - 3 metres above the kitchen tap. So if i am only ever going to get 3-4Lpm should i just bite the bullet and go HP.

But what's your incoming flow and pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water flow is poor want to improve it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I’ve been doing my first refurbishment is a two bed flat with a bathroom and ensuite . Learnt a lot and been grateful for input’s especially from Shaun. The customer had ordered swan neck mixer taps for kitchen, bathroom and ensuite. On installing then all the hot water flow is none...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I need to replace the kitchen tap, all my neighbours have two single taps in their kitchen and bathroom whereas I have a single lever tap in the bathroom and kitchen. Due to living in a flat and having a shared water supply I was advised to get a dual flow tap for the kitchen so...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock