Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water cylinder? ______________ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I'm not a plumber but just curious as I'm an electrician who's coming towards the end of a rewire, The house is a new build out in the sticks. Originally the plan was to have a oil or gas fired boiler supplying CH and UFH, due to cost issues he has decided to install a unvented indirect cylinder and use only this for HW and UFH 6 zone manifold, with the immersion heating the loop, doesn't seem right to me and I'll have to somehow alter wiring as I've wired for a boiler setup, Is this ever a done thing?
Thanks

You sure it's not a elec thermal store ?

Could be!? Not familiar with those tbh, I havnt actually spoke to the plumber only the owner and what he's told me,

Unvented won't work

Thermal store will as it works in reverse to a cylinder eg the heating water is in the body of the cylinder where on a normal cylinder the hot water would be

Right okay think I'm with it, how long would the immersion take to heat the cylinder? I'm thinking of having the immersion on a timer at night as it's the only heat source and hopefully this would be enough for a day of HW and CH usage?

No wouldn't be enough for heating could possibly be for hot water in the summer nut not for heating

Best option put it on a timer let them set the times they want (you can set a basic one like a standard gas heating sys) and then have a boost function as well just incase

No wouldn't be enough for heating could possibly be for hot water in the summer nut not for heating

Best option put it on a timer let them set the times they want (you can set a basic one like a standard gas heating sys) and then have a boost function as well just incase
Put immersion on timer for heating?

Yes I think so, I'm just thinking how to incorporate this into his UFH room stats/programmers. Am I right in thinking once a room stat calls for heat it will take an age for the room to heat up?
Thanks for your help so far.

Yes I think so, I'm just thinking how to incorporate this into his UFH room stats/programmers. Am I right in thinking once a room stat calls for heat it will take an age for the room to heat up?
Thanks for your help so far.

You need to keep the store hot all the time so in reality 5.30 am to 10.30pm for the store depending on house usage

Then your heating / ufh times

Reply to Hot water cylinder? ______________ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello, I am fitting new taps and a shower mixer in my en-suite and was looking to isolate the hot water pipes. I have an unvented indirect heating system (have attached some photos). I was wondering if the isolation valve that would shut off the water to the hot water taps is as circled in the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only (rads are electric). In the 5 years that I’ve lived at this property, I’ve never once turned the boiler off; however, with soaring energy prices, I’m...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock