Search the forum,

Discuss Hot flow and return pipes, hot upstairs rad but cold rads downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

so all your down stairs rads arnt working

I see, it still just seems strange how it cuts off at heating all radiators upstairs perfectly but none of the downstairs ones at all, they arent even luke warm. They are ice cold yet the return pipe to the boiler is super hot.
I cannot say any more. Really sorry mate. Your engineer should know what to look at on the boiler.

I am hoping that is the case, shelled out a lot of money for it and don't want to spend even more on additional work!

easy way to tell if its blocked but requires removal of a rad

remove a rad and test if you have water coming out of each valve from the rad you removed if you have its not blocked

All goes into the mixer mate. Always worth pointing out.
Most of the new valiant boilers you can on the boiler Display give so many KW to heating and hot water just check this . if the heating has not been used in summer most times the pump gets stuck free this up with big screwdriver I have also seen the nut behind the chrome screw on pump turn but the impeller stays put? As with Most of the new Boilers Valiant. Glow- worm. Worchester 30 CDI you can Map the Pump you should look at this as well . I think you should be ok if you are only touching the wet side of system To put it another way if AAV went in boiler and water flooding every were and in order to stop this you could turn off isolation valves I know what I would do

Most of the new valiant boilers you can on the boiler Display give so many KW to heating and hot water just check this . if the heating has not been used in summer most times the pump gets stuck free this up with big screwdriver I have also seen the nut behind the chrome screw on pump turn but the impeller stays put? As with Most of the new Boilers Valiant. Glow- worm. Worchester 30 CDI you can Map the Pump you should look at this as well . I think you should be ok if you are only touching the wet side of system To put it another way if AAV went in boiler and water flooding every were and in order to stop this you could turn off isolation valves I know what I would do

Not a gas engineer myself mate so think I will leave the internals alone as advised but thanks anyway.

Right, the problem is solved!

We had a gas engineer over for about 45 minutes trying various things. He put the boiler into service mode and closed all upstairs rads. Nothing got hot downstairs. He recommended a power flush.

Few days later a different engineer from the same company called me about the power flush and suggested it may be an air lock. He suggested there may be an air release valve somewhere upstairs but I didn't know where it could be.

He came over, had a look at our pipework. Mentioned an airlock is very likely as it goes up and over so is quite prone to that happening.
Put the boiler into service mode again and whacked the pressure right up and turned the pump up (was on auto before). This fixed it, suddenly heard all the air moving in the system and voila, heat downstairs. Shouldn't happen so easily now either.

Very pleased as saved a ÂŁ500 power flush which wasn't even needed!

Awesome news mate. Glad it is sorted and you saved money. It’s nice to get feed back, it doesn’t happen often. As you saved £££s I hope that you gave him a drink?;);););)

Reply to Hot flow and return pipes, hot upstairs rad but cold rads downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just tried to turn on my CH for the first time this year as I have a number of guests coming for xmas dinner but even after an hour all the rads are stone...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock