Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Hot bath/sink taps, cold showers in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Ryan Begley

Ryan Begley New Member

Hi all. I hope I'm posting this in the right place :)

I moved into a rented third floor flat in January and subsequently discovered that neither of the showers had hot water. Both had a single dial mixer shower. In the ensuite the temperature would increase up to 4 on the dial (out of 9) where it would get luke warm. Anything above that would get colder. The bathroom shower was cold regardless of setting. Every other tap in the property can produce very hot water, though the bath hot tap puts out cold if it is open fully.

The letting agency has been (slowly) dealing with it. First they sent out someone to check the heating system and they said all was fine. We have a communal boiler in the building and each flat has a heat exchange unit. A series of people came to look at the showers culminating in last Thursday when the showers were replaced. The ensuite was broken in the process (turns out the shower valve wasn't attached to anything more solid than plaster and broke it all on the way out. That will be fixed in future after someone can come to cut a hole in the wall and install a metal back plate) but the bathroom shower was successfully replaced.

When I tested the bathroom shower that evening (by just running it and feeling by hand for a minute) we had hot water. At the highest setting on the dial it was nearly burning. The following morning I went to take a shower and it was cold, regardless of setting on the dial or for how long it was left for. Since then every time I've tested it regardless of what time it is or if there's anything else running it's been cold.

I'm kind of at my wits end and have been trying to understand what could be the problem and what to communicate to my lettings agency. I thought it might be an issue with the communal boiler not being able to supply enough hot water in the morning, but even showers later in the day or at the weekend are cold. We assumed the new shower mixers would fix it but unless they break after 5 minutes use it appears not. The only thing I can think of is maybe the pressure for the hot water is just too low, but as I understand it that shouldn't matter with a thermostatic mixer (because if the dial is on the hottest setting the pressure will drop to maintain temperature).

I've attached pictures of the shower that was put in. I believe it is a mira agile S EV:

Mira Agile S EV by Mira Showers

It only controls for heat (or at least should) with the pressure being constantly very powerful. Given that the other taps can put out very hot water at a lower temperature my inclination is to ask that they be replaced by a unit with separate flow and temperature controls. However I'm not an expert by any means so would very much appreciate any advice or help anyone may have in understanding this issue. I typically like quite hot showers so having to start my day with a cold one for nearly two months has become increasingly irritating.

Thanks in advance!

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Rented, if they can`t fix it then move.

3. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

It could be crosssed pipe connections or unbalanced supplies.

4. Ryan Begley

Ryan Begley New Member

Whilst that is an option it's the last resort.

Thanks for this. I had a look into the specifications for the shower and it seems like it might be an issue with the cold water pressure being significantly higher than the hot. I ran the shower and turned on the cold taps elsewhere in the flat. Sure enough the shower temperature became what it was meant to and the dial works properly for adjusting temperature.

A pain but at least as a stop gap it's possible to have a hot shower and I can feed this information back. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  5. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Sounds like a job for Pressure Equalising Valve Man .

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

It's rented. Pass back to landlord or tenancy agent. Make them earn their corn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

2 months !!!!!!!
    refuse to pay any rent until its fixed .

8. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Should have a flow regulator to balance the hot and colds out.