Search the forum,

Discuss Hot and Cold Pipe Repair - Good or Bad? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

So had a water leak in the pipes above the ceiling in the hallway and below the floor in the landing.
Called home insurance who sent home emergency team which is run by Homeserve.
They put a hole in the ceiling and found the leak, but the pipes were so high up close to the floor above we had to take up the wood flooring on the landing so they could cut a hole in the landing floor.
Leak was caused because the hot and cold pipes were rubbing on top of the central heating pipes as they were right under the floor boards.
Now the Homeserve plumber has decided to create a U type shape on the pipes to go below the central heating pipes and it looks like this -

upload_2018-11-5_16-8-42.jpeg

The compression corner or the right hand side hot dripped a bit so they came back out, fixed it and then the left hand side hot pipe compression corner started to drip. He tightened it a bit and then went as it had stopped.
Now then next day i noticed a small pin head drip coming from the left hand side hot pipe (red tape) compression corner joint. Wiped it away then today seen another small pin head drip coming from it.
I assume this is bad and still needs fixing (plumber coming back out this aft).
Does this job look ok? are the plastic corners ok?
The pipes run in the ceiling where the solid wall stops as the landing is above so want this not to leak again as the ceiling hole will need repiaring and reskimming and the floor above will have to have the wood florring refitted.

Just a bit concerned.

If it's leaking call them back out and say your not happy with it and want it replacing as they've been out twice already

Yep awaiting there return this aft some time.

Does the U bend of the pipes with those connectors look like the right things for the job? i.e. would you professionals of done this sort of thing?

Thanks again

Feel like footing the bill to get it done proper by a proper pro plumber not a jack of all trades master of none.

How much you reckon it would cost to rectify this so its proper soldered with less joints?

Bargin :)

It took about 5 mins for the pipes to empty out, turn the mains tap off, open the taps and the pipes were empty as the plumber was then able to cut the bit of copper pipe section out to make that contraption.
Then refilled in a few mins.
Its just the hot and cold pipes that feed the taps etc.

The under writers pay homeserve £140 per job.

I’m pretty sure you that job took the plumber about 10 mins to do.

The plumbers get loaded with 10+ jobs per day and they must get completed.

How much you reckon it would cost to rectify this so its proper soldered with less joints?

Depends what you consider a 'proper' repair. Ideally, I would want to replace the the entire length of damaged pipe back to existing joints with a nicely bent jumper under the CH pipe. I'd also take a critical look at the CH pipes in the areas because copper-on-copper friction often damages both parties to the action. Say three or four hours, mostly spent exposing the work and making good after.

Nothing that would interest top quality plumbers like you H.

TapMedic is just a little British invention that:
  • saves customers time & money whilst
  • making plumbers time and money (at the expense of tap manufacturers) but
  • is also incredibly green & safe too
As I said, nothing to see HERE :)
Honestly mate. You should be paying me for this:D:D:D

We aim to. We've applied for US patents.
Do you know of anyone who'd be interested in taking it on? ;)

I don't. Are you aiming to cover new or old faucets or both? I don't think you'd have much luck with the old ones unless you offer conversions to ceramic cartridges. Most plumbers around here are either fully equipped to service old taps with original parts or they just replace them wholly.

The old stuff has such a wide array of threads and sizes I think you would be out of luck. You'd probably do well with the newer stuff but I think the situation isn't as ripe here to bear fruit for you. Here only a small number of brands share the market and there stuff is easy to get parts for. Most guys would be fine ordering parts and charging to go back for a second call and the customers are used to that.

As a service plumber I would love something like tapmedic but I am in it to work for the customer and do things as efficiently as possible. For the most part you either get the unmotivated employees who are fine leaving and coming back or you get the independent guys who use a bad cartridge as a reason to upsell them a new expensive faucet and stops and filters and ......etcetera.

I don't. Are you aiming to cover new or old faucets or both? I don't think you'd have much luck with the old ones unless you offer conversions to ceramic cartridges. Most plumbers around here are either fully equipped to service old taps with original parts or they just replace them wholly.

The old stuff has such a wide array of threads and sizes I think you would be out of luck. You'd probably do well with the newer stuff but I think the situation isn't as ripe here to bear fruit for you. Here only a small number of brands share the market and there stuff is easy to get parts for. Most guys would be fine ordering parts and charging to go back for a second call and the customers are used to that.

As a service plumber I would love something like tapmedic but I am in it to work for the customer and do things as efficiently as possible. For the most part you either get the unmotivated employees who are fine leaving and coming back or you get the independent guys who use a bad cartridge as a reason to upsell them a new expensive faucet and stops and filters and ....etcetera.
Dave. Surely you can cope with this? Or is tapmedic not what I think it is???:D:p:D

Dave. Surely you can cope with this? Or is tapmedic not what I think it is???:D:p:D

Everything said we know about. We have researched the US market extensively & we can currently do many both old & new.

The US however is the single most confused market in the world (manufacturers & consumers). No one else would be surprised at that but US citizens are as ripped off as UK ones are.

It is not a market we will be prioritising from here as the other 193 countries in the world are calling and, frankly, are more mature. If however someone wanted to license our concept then we'd talk ;)

Going back to the original post !!...Oh Dear..but as some one said...Home Serve!
p.s. Is it just me or do more and more threads I read seem to get hijacked halfway through by something called tap medic !! Hehe

Job done quick by a house basher with a gun to his head and a stopwatch in his face.

Wet vac and copper for me.

Reply to Hot and Cold Pipe Repair - Good or Bad? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock