Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Hot and Cold Pipe Repair - Good or Bad? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. AndyB7

AndyB7 New Member

So had a water leak in the pipes above the ceiling in the hallway and below the floor in the landing.
    Called home insurance who sent home emergency team which is run by Homeserve.
    They put a hole in the ceiling and found the leak, but the pipes were so high up close to the floor above we had to take up the wood flooring on the landing so they could cut a hole in the landing floor.
    Leak was caused because the hot and cold pipes were rubbing on top of the central heating pipes as they were right under the floor boards.
    Now the Homeserve plumber has decided to create a U type shape on the pipes to go below the central heating pipes and it looks like this -

upload_2018-11-5_16-8-42.jpeg

The compression corner or the right hand side hot dripped a bit so they came back out, fixed it and then the left hand side hot pipe compression corner started to drip. He tightened it a bit and then went as it had stopped.
    Now then next day i noticed a small pin head drip coming from the left hand side hot pipe (red tape) compression corner joint. Wiped it away then today seen another small pin head drip coming from it.
    I assume this is bad and still needs fixing (plumber coming back out this aft).
    Does this job look ok? are the plastic corners ok?
    The pipes run in the ceiling where the solid wall stops as the landing is above so want this not to leak again as the ceiling hole will need repiaring and reskimming and the floor above will have to have the wood florring refitted.

Just a bit concerned.

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

If it's leaking call them back out and say your not happy with it and want it replacing as they've been out twice already

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. AndyB7

AndyB7 New Member

Yep awaiting there return this aft some time.

Does the U bend of the pipes with those connectors look like the right things for the job? i.e. would you professionals of done this sort of thing?

Thanks again

4. ShaunCorbs

Me personally no I wouldn't have done it like they have

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. AndyB7

AndyB7 New Member

How would you of done it?

6. Dilalio

Dilalio Member

I would have soldered it with 135°s and charged you accordingly... But I am not Home-swerve :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. ShaunCorbs

I would of used a bender or used soldered 45 fittings if it was too tight

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AndyB7

AndyB7 New Member

i asked them to solder it and he said you can't solder onto pipes with water in\standing in them?

9. Dilalio

Dilalio Member

Then you suck the water out with a wet vac!
    It's the difference you get between a local independent and a national company on a Contract my friend.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AndyB7

AndyB7 New Member

Feel like footing the bill to get it done proper by a proper pro plumber not a jack of all trades master of none.

How much you reckon it would cost to rectify this so its proper soldered with less joints?

11. Dilalio

Dilalio Member

£5,000,000,000 :p

All depends on draining down and refilling... Pipework repair is about 20 mins :D

12. AndyB7

AndyB7 New Member

Bargin :)

It took about 5 mins for the pipes to empty out, turn the mains tap off, open the taps and the pipes were empty as the plumber was then able to cut the bit of copper pipe section out to make that contraption.
    Then refilled in a few mins.
    Its just the hot and cold pipes that feed the taps etc.

13. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

The under writers pay homeserve £140 per job.

I’m pretty sure you that job took the plumber about 10 mins to do.

The plumbers get loaded with 10+ jobs per day and they must get completed.

14. Dilalio

Dilalio Member

Agreed... It's not usually the operative's fault... They are on the hurry up from management :mad:

15. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Don't you just love the PTFE on the compression fittings . :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1