Search the forum,

Discuss Hep2o - does it stand the test of time??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
rodent control!

Had to assess a repair to a property in town last year. A mouse had chewed through a plastic fitting on the second floor when the residents were on holiday. The insurance claim for the water damage was about £15,000 as all the fittings and furniture on the floors below was ruined and the ceilings came down. Would have been a lot cheaper to have used copper in the first place.

Bottom Line folks is Plastic is fine. REMEMBER installation procedure is key. So.... Rough burred copper tube edges (quick job = low cost), and flux and hacksaw cuts is bad news. For pro's, you know what I mean - hopefully: for the 'public' members of this forum, please note that if any work you do, or subsequent 'professionals' do, any flux that runs down the line and gets to any of the plastic O ring seals (I am a huge fan of Speedfit - where's my commission???), regardless of manufacture (JG Speedfit; Hep2O: Polyplumb etc..), will likely as not, destroy the sealing ring and may cause a leak!! Rough tube ends, cut incorrectly is a nono! Install correctly (just like copper correct install is vital), the correct install is crucial - don't cut corners. If you want an el-cheapo job that sees plastic as time saving/cost cutting easy route - then you will come unstuck. If tubework is visible, I still tend to use copper for aesthetic reasons, but there are times and reasons when end feed (solder) is more appropriate, as indeed there are times/ reasons when compression is better as indeed there are times / reasons when plastic is better / fine. Time moves on and technology and the world finds better ways of doing things. I fly in a jet or turbo prop, not a propeller biplane: I don't keep harking back to the past but accept progress.

If rodents are present and eating plastic pipe, they will also be eating electrical cable and everything else that is plastic coated that they can get their teeth into. It's not just plastic pipe that they eat. Then it's down to the customer to get a vermin control company in to eradicate the pesky wee varmits.

Correctly installed plastic systems do have their place, but it's the incorrectly installed systems that give it a bad name. My own preference is copper and soldered fittings but there are many occasions where copper will just not fit and a coil of plastic is easily fitted, joists being one example. Out of all the plastic systems, I like Speedfit the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hep2o is very good and won't give you any problems if fitted correctly, get yourself a proper pair of plastic pipe cutters though.

Used to use Hep all the time until they changed the design.
Got stuck trying to take joints apart under the floor.
Started using JGSF now, seems ok.
Anyone using copper push fit fittings at all?

just been to a leak today, hep and comp service valve. insert fitted been in 5 years. water co has just increased the pressure on the main to ensure everyone has a decent supply. When I arrived there was a very impressive supply in the bathroom!!!!!!!!! silly old custard couldnt find her mains stop tap!

Used to use Hep all the time until they changed the design.
Got stuck trying to take joints apart under the floor.
Started using JGSF now, seems ok.
Anyone using copper push fit fittings at all?
Yes, I've used Cuprofit and it's neat and very secure. As it's only for copper, no inserts are required.

I exclusively use copper push fit, the ones I use require use of flux and solder though ;)

Am fortunate I can afford to make that choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hep2o - does it stand the test of time??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock