Search the forum,

Discuss Help with McAlpine Bottle Trap size and fitting problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am going insane with this issue.

I recentrly removed a McAlpine Anti Syphon Bottle trap from my basin, and purchased an identical one from Screwfix.

This is the item. http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/1-188-anti-syphon-bottle-trap.html?id=943

But, I had to return it because I couldn't get it to screw on properly. So they replaced for it me, but now getting the same issue with the new one. It just will not screw on and hold in place.

Yet the original trap that I removed from the Basin goes back on without any issues and you could hang off it!!!

So I went to Wickes and purchased a 32mm Bottle Trap to see if that would fit, and to my my amasement that screwed on without any issues and you could hang off that one too.

Has something changed with these McAlpine traps?

It should fit onto threads fine. McAlpine traps are one of the best made you can buy.
Maybe you are putting it onto the wrong threads.
That all said, there are differences in threads on both certain waste fittings and traps and some can have the nut of the trap slipping off when nearly tightened. So you maybe have an oddball waste fitting, or something strange with nut of trap (unlikely with McAlpine).
Welcome to the world of plumbing and bathrooms, - especially cheaper items

It should fit onto threads fine. McAlpine traps are one of the best made you can buy.
Maybe you are putting it onto the wrong threads.
That all said, there are differences in threads on both certain waste fittings and traps and some can have the nut of the trap slipping off when nearly tightened. So you maybe have an oddball waste fitting, or something strange with nut of trap (unlikely with McAlpine).
Welcome to the world of plumbing and bathrooms, - especially cheaper items

Hi,

I purchased a McAlpine trap because I thought they were a superior brand.

But the Wickes one went on with ease!!!

Anyway, I took went back to the supplier to exchange the item again. This time I took the waste with me to show them.

A Plumber in the shop said that he has experienced similar issues. Mainly due to slight variances in the waste, or the compression nut thread on the trap etc.

They screw up onto the waste and they drop off again.

So they replaced it again, not before I tried the new one in front of them. This one grips better but I still wouldn’t like to chance over-tightening it as it could pop off.

It doesn't appear to be leaking, and for good measure I've applied a nice bead of Silicone around the joint.

Thanks

Hi,

I purchased a McAlpine trap because I thought they were a superior brand.

But the Wickes one went on with ease!!!

Anyway, I took went back to the supplier to exchange the item again. This time I took the waste with me to show them.

A Plumber in the shop said that he has experienced similar issues. Mainly due to slight variances in the waste, or the compression nut thread on the trap etc.

They screw up onto the waste and they drop off again.

So they replaced it again, not before I tried the new one in front of them. This one grips better but I still wouldn’t like to chance over-tightening it as it could pop off.

It doesn't appear to be leaking, and for good measure I've applied a nice bead of Silicone around the joint.

Thanks

Yes, the wastes and the trap nuts seem to have varying thread depths I believe.
The McApine trap should be decent, so your waste fitting may have been the biggest issue and you have managed to find a tighter threaded trap now. If the trap nut goes on the waste thread correctly and tightens very fully tight without slipping, then it should be fine.
I have just had the same problem with a kitchen sink where the trap would be hard to get on right thread and could slip on the final thread. I was using a very decent Hepworth trap, but when I tried another brand of trap, it tightened perfectly. Scarily I found a new bath I was fitting with the trap actually falling off when tightened last thread! I replaced the waste to a different brand, but same happened, yet when I got a different brand trap it went on nice and tight to the threads.
Bathrooms can have a lot of teething problems, especially with some of the rubbish nowadays.

I find a lot of the cheaper bath and basin wastes to be absolute cack these days. Made of flimsy thin metal, and the threads aren't cut deeply enough. I would suspect the waste over a McAlpine fitting any day.

Yes, the wastes and the trap nuts seem to have varying thread depths I believe.
The McApine trap should be decent, so your waste fitting may have been the biggest issue and you have managed to find a tighter threaded trap now. If the trap nut goes on the waste thread correctly and tightens very fully tight without slipping, then it should be fine.
I have just had the same problem with a kitchen sink where the trap would be hard to get on right thread and could slip on the final thread. I was using a very decent Hepworth trap, but when I tried another brand of trap, it tightened perfectly. Scarily I found a new bath I was fitting with the trap actually falling off when tightened last thread! I replaced the waste to a different brand, but same happened, yet when I got a different brand trap it went on nice and tight to the threads.
Bathrooms can have a lot of teething problems, especially with some of the rubbish nowadays.

Hi,

I give up on these McAlpine traps.

I went to put the basin in, and do final leak test.

Dam!!! Water started leaking out from the locking nut, and then the whole unit fell off when I went to touch it.

These threads are useless and I can no longer trust the unit, so I put the Wickes bottle trap on instead.

The Wickes Anti Siphon trap -
Screws on to about 1/2".
It's on the waste solidily.
It's a silent as the McAlpine.
It's anti siphon like the McAlpine.
It was 1/2 the price of the McAlpine, and there are no leaks.

I'm going to take the the McAlpine back for the third time and try and get my money back.

I just hope that the Wickes trap lasts as long at the old McAlpine that originally came off the basin.

The strange thing is, the original McAlpine (which is probably about 10 years old) goes on my new basin waste without any issues!!!

So there can't be a problem with my waste.

It must be something to do with the latest McAlpine fittings.

Thanks

The strange thing is, the original McAlpine (which is probably about 10 years old) goes on my new basin waste without any issues!!!

So there can't be a problem with my waste.

It must be something to do with the latest McAlpine fittings.

Thanks

I know the McAlpine kitchen sink traps are the best you can buy and their basin pedestal traps are same, but I appreciate that info and I will be extra careful to check the McAlpine traps in the future. Doesn't surprise me if something has been changed for the worse.

I know the McAlpine kitchen sink traps are the best you can buy and their basin pedestal traps are same, but I appreciate that info and I will be extra careful to check the McAlpine traps in the future. Doesn't surprise me if something has been changed for the worse.

That's what I thought, and the reason attempted to replace the old one with a new one.

It could just be a one off. Or maybe they have lowered their quality, or changed the design somehow.

I will check the collar depth before I take it back to see if it is the same as the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with McAlpine Bottle Trap size and fitting problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock