Search the forum,

Discuss Help with leaky valve under sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

The pipes beneath my kitchen sink started leaking - lots of water was streaming down. Have used colours in the pic attached:
- The red box is where it's leaking from
- The green box is the valve that we turned off to stop the water leaking. I think the main tap (i.e. the silver thing on top of the sink) is ok

Does anyone know what we'd need to do to fix this?

Thanks!

40137765_452759935234174_7591810795437031424_n (1).jpg

Strange why it's only just started to leak

Might need a pinch up with a set of spanners

Thanks guys - will try tightening it. It hasn't been knocked but we have had guests that are quite strong armed with turning the main kitchen sink tap on and off - would that affect it? Think it might have been dripping for a while but I hadn't heard it until yesterday because it's inside the cupboard, and there is a bit of mould on the back wall...

The pipes beneath my kitchen sink started leaking - lots of water was streaming down. Have used colours in the pic attached:

Do you mean it was running down the pipe? Does the water trickle out of the mixer tap and run down the spout? If yes to these, could be poor seal between tap/sink and tap needs new washer's in.

Is the tap qtr turn (ceramic disc) or screwdown type?

Undo the silver nut above the valve & lift it clear to check that the olive is still in the correct position before tightening it any more.
There should be approx 10mm of copper tube showing past the brass olive, if there is you could try a couple of turns of PTFE around that pipe sticking out before you push it back into the valve & tighten back up. Only wants another half a turn once it is tight.

Might be a silly question, but how can we get the copper pipe out to wrap the olive with PTFE? It looks like the pipe is fixed to the tap at the top and another pipe network at the bottom.

Might be a silly question, but how can we get the copper pipe out to wrap the olive with PTFE? It looks like the pipe is fixed to the tap at the top and another pipe network at the bottom.
There should be enough spring in the pipework to pull it apart.
Don't forget you will need another large spanner to hold against yourself as you tighten it back up.

You sure it's not coming from above either where the copper tails screw in to the tap body its only a o ring seal or even where the tap seals to the sink top again only a o ring and can move if treated roughly ? . Kop

Reply to Help with leaky valve under sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock