Currently reading:
help with fitting a new programmer now i have no heating or hot water

Discuss help with fitting a new programmer now i have no heating or hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrvillicus

help with fitting a new programmer - still need help!

hey guys, I need some help

My current system is gravity fed, with a storage tank in the loft and a tank on the landing. We have a potterton (about 14 year old) boiler and did have an EP2002 programmer until It broke. My dad had a spare one, a salus EP200, and had a go at fitting it today, however we now have no heating or hot water. He thinks he's done it right but I get no response from the programmer, and when I switch the boiler fused switch on the boiler comes on and runs but the water and heating isnt getting hot.

I have absolutely no idea about electrics etc, I have taken some pics of the backplate if its any help and the programme, any help would be great and again, forgive me I am a complete novice

The handbook says:-

terminal name function
N Neutral
L Live
1 (HW OFF) Hot water off
2 (CH OFF) Central heating off
3 (HW ON) Hot water on
4 (CH ON) Central heating on

The wires going into each port are currently:-

N Blue/Black
L Red
1 Blue/Red/Black
2 Black/Red
3 Yellow
4 Brown

P4020005_zps892d34e4.jpg

P4020004_zps1a90b895.jpg

P4020003_zpsb5ea0de8.jpg

Thanks, Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
not 100% sure without a diagram, but you have 2 live links into the offs (L-1,1-2) so its always going to be off. on the back of your ep2002 there should be a diagram with whats ch calling and whats dhw calling, most of the others are just links

Hi Ben,

I'm not surprised your having problems, the wiring on that back plate is a right mess and you have lots of wires linked where they shouldn't be. I doubt very much anyone can advise how to sort this out just by looking at the pictures. You would first need to know which terminals the wires were in on the old timer. If you don't know that then it's going to take a while to trace them. Time to call in a pro.

An EP2000 was used as a joint box for the system wiring. Strip that lot out as it couldn't be any more wrong.
Tomorrow will be a long day.

'I have absolutely no idea about electrics etc'

Without stating the obvious, but stating it anyway, might do better to get a leccy in then?

thanks for the replies, my dads coming around 6 but i dont have much faith so ive been looking into it, as far as I understand the wiring is wrong, if i am told what goes where (if its that simple) ill do it myself. the old programmers diagram was this...

DSCF5457_zps52a26305.jpg

the new one is this

P4020004_zps1a90b895.jpg

current wiring that my dad, i think, guessed

P4020005_zps892d34e4.jpg

there seems to be 3 earth wires in a small block at the back of the plate as i believe the ep200 doesnt need to be earthed

That is wrong on so many levels. Why have you got perm live linked to hw on and then hw on linked to heating on for a start? Get some one in who knows what they're doing before you really mess it up.

The programmer connections are the same on both clocks. N L 3 and 4 (you would also have a wire in 1 if you have a mid position valve). BUT. An EP2002 also had spare terminals A B C and D on the left which could be used to join anything. Whatever was in these terminals needs to be joined into a terminal strip in the back box behind the clock as they were joined before.
If he can't remember what was connected o ABCD, the only way to find out now is by tracing the wires back to their source. You can't tell much by colours except for the live neutral and earth as the others are all switch wires with perhaps, but not necessarily a neutral.
You may need to get someone in to fix this.

well hes just left and still no joy, he hasnt got a clue what hes doing to be honest and now im left to pay for an electrician!

now im left to pay for an electrician!
Make sure he is experienced in wiring heating systems. You might do better to employ a heating engineer who has Part P qualifications for electrical work.

Did you dad make a written note of how the old programmer was wired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to help with fitting a new programmer now i have no heating or hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back