Search the forum,

Discuss Help with bleeding oil burner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bee

Hi there,
I have a Worcester Greenstar Camray 12/18 Utility. I've run out of oil over night and got an oil delivery today. When pressing the red reset button, it sounded as if the boiler would come on again, but cut out after a few seconds. (I pressed the button 4 times, I hope that's not too often!) I understand it needs bleeding. On this model, is it safe for me to do that myself, I really don't know anything about plumbing? Normally I would call a professional to do this, but I could do without that expense at the moment.
I would be very grateful for any help, and possibly a link to a picture that shows where the oil valve is situated on this particular model.
Thanks in advance!

You not got instructions for the boiler? When was it last services?

I have the instructions that came with it, but they don't tell me anything about doing the bleeding myself, neither don't they show a drawing which would make things clear to me, that's why I came to this forum.
Boiler didn't have a service yet, it's up to landlord (don't ask!).

The fuel pump (black box fuel line goes to) will have what looks like a brake bleed nipple. Attach a short piece of 1/4 hose and crack open as if bleeding brakes and this will get rid of the air and bring through the fuel.

Crack open as if bleeding brakes? I need "bleeding for dummies" instructions!
Thanks for all replies so far!

Be careful that you do t move the pressure adjuster on the pump. Easier to undo the oil inlet connector .

Hi,
I don't know whether my last reply went through as I have a temperamental Internet connection.
Is the Oil Supply Isolation Valve the one that needs bleeding?
Thanks!

As above. Sorry but you may have an airlock on the high pressure side which you dont want to mess with. A reasonable engineer may charge ÂŁ45 to come and bleed it through. Look on the OFTEC website for a local guy.

you saying Im unreasonable :)
I meant someone who knows what they're doing could do it quickly and easily so might not charge much. Easy for me to say being surrounded by oil but might be different for those in more remote areas I guess.

got it in one there bunks, distance travelled is the problem down here.

Hi,
Thanks for all replies. In the end, I decided not to mess with it myself and called an engineer. I found someone locally who did it on the same day and for ÂŁ40 all in - not bad!

Good lad. I say that with authority having just spent the best part of 3 hours cleaning out a boiler that a handyman tried to bleed.

Needless to say he touched something he shouldn't have and subsequently turned the boiler into a soot generator.

The vicar has been told that if his handyman does it again I will hunt him down and punch him in the neck!

While we're on the subject, when I have come across a heavily sooted boiler I've always attempted to clean nearly all the soot off, but have often wondered should I simply give it a reasonable go then set it to run lean to burn off the soot and return later to set up to save me so much effort and make less filthy mess?

Baffles out, quick hoover, door on, over aired and let her burn. On an off a dozen times to oomph any remaining crap, baffles back in and then go from there.

Being new i don't mind going back two times.
its leading to more recommendations

most folks would prefer it fixed first time round, that will get even more recommendations

Wonder what oftec rules would say to cleaning a boiler full of soot? :smile:

Question :-
You go to a pressure jet oil boiler that is very heavily sooted. Do you....

(a) Jump into your van & drive away.

(b) Carefully vacumn & brush the shell.

(c) Carelessly vacumn it, bursting the bag & empty the vacumn inside customers bin when they aren't looking.

(d) Raise the burner air setting, start the boiler, putting loads of half burned soot into the atmosphere & over the neighbouring clothes lines.

most folks would prefer it fixed first time round, that will get even more recommendations

The boiler gets cleaned as thoroughly as possible. Oil pressure gets checked and reset then the air gets set with the smoke gun.

You want to stick your nice expensive fga into a boiler that could still be blowing particles about? You go ahead big lad.

Me, I'd rather keep the costs of fga repairs down and return a few days later for a second check.

The punter gets this fully explained.

Experience suggests that people dont mind a second visit as long as they have heating and hot water between the visits. I like the boiler to have run a while then re visit to adjust the combustion. As long as its explained to the cust then they arent too bothered.

As you say Croppie, just what I thought. No point cleaning every last speck off everything - To do it fully would take more time than a second visit anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with bleeding oil burner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock