Search the forum,

Discuss Help with a Baxi Solo 30 HE Regular in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

This is my first ever post as a newly registered gas safe engineer. I’m looking for help on an issue I tried to help with for an old couple that live locally to me.

They have the above boiler and very recently have had constant issues with it kettling and almost immediately locking out. The pump was very weak so I’ve replaced this for them thinking the issue was circulation and the new pump would resolve the issue.

As I’m posting here it’s needless to say that the issue still remains!!! Plenty of flow through all the rads and the cylinder but still the boiler ignites and locks out immediately. I’ve bled the whole system and bled the bleed pips on top of the flow and return pipes to the boiler, all good.

I’ve suggested that the heat exchanger may be blocked and they would be better off now getting Baxi in for a one off fix.

Is there anything else I should have done for them? I’ve handed them over to Baxi and admitted it’s beyond me at this stage, but for my own knowledge and experience could it be anything else?

Thanks for any help.

Mike.

Here’s the old pump.....

63CB7D6A-34D7-4534-8B35-2F65C938DF32.jpeg

correct! It is indeed the valve that is still attached to the pump, I replaced the unions also

Thanks very much for the welcomes!

Agree, the system does look as though it’s not been cleaned for a while. The old boy reckons he did have it flushed a couple of years ago though. Unfortunately he’s since had a stroke and is bed bound so can’t give me much more info. His wife is also losing her marbles, I just don’t want them getting ripped off.

Or me handing them over to Baxi when there’s something I’ve missed...
Baxi may fix it but will their one off repair charge include the heat ex if needed? I know some manufactures exclude this from their one off repair service.

Also if the system is as bad as it looks they may refuse to repair it until the system is properly cleaned.

Yes, according to the bloke I spoke to on the engineers helpline.

If not I might suggest I flush the whole system rad by rad and put a new boiler in. The boiler hasn’t been maintained by the looks of it, condense trap was rammed.

Yeah I agree, how can I determine if it’s the heat exchanger or a blockage elsewhere...it’s a large detached house so a power flush is going to cost them the same as the £340 Baxi want.

Thanks for all the help everyone, really great forum

Mmm, great idea with the magnet, thanks. The pump is in a kitchen cupboard downstairs, I can hear and feel good flow through the cylinder upstairs and all rads which is baffling me and draws me back to the conclusion it’s the boiler....

I’ve got until tomorrow night to suss it out and cancel Baxi who are coming on Friday

If you have good flow, then it would circulate. I would say that you have a serious blockage, either in the hex or is there a filter on the return? Is there a mag filter? If so, it could be “full” or a valve turned off

Will go back and have a look tomorrow, no valves will have been touched as he’s bed bound and his wife can just about boil a kettle, bit of a sorry situation!!

Thanks again everyone.

Mike.

Had something similar a while ago on a ideal classic . Changed the pump no different flushed out the rads which were all like tar inside no different. Added system cleaner no different turns out the the blockage was around the vent cold feed and first pump isolation valve from all the crap out the boiler which was rusted up and broke in to bits so new boiler installed

There was a Fernox filter on the system, it was dirty with sludge but wasn’t impeding the system too much I wouldn’t have thought. Gave it a clean out but still the boiler locks out.

Over to Baxi now so fingers crossed I’ve not wasted the couples money, I’ll keep you updated.

I am not particular familiar with the HE (I stopped being SE some years ago), so excuse me if any if the following is irreleavant.
Is this the one with the diagnosis lights? What do they say?
Is their an overheat sensor?
Is this a sealed system or header tank? if a header tank, then take a magnet and test for magnetism at the junction if the cold feed to the system. If magnetic, then remove that section of pipework and clean/replace.

Just a thought for you the flow switch top right of the boiler could be at fault I had this happen when I replaced it the main heat ex became completely air locked so I linked it out temporary which then made boiler fire removed all air boiler then worked a dream this was what baxi them selves told me to do might be worth a look link out old flow swit h to test first.

Thanks all - Baxi came out yesterday and have said that it’s not the boiler. He replaced the seals on the combustion chamber thinking they were leaking heat and setting the overheat stat off but still no joy. He said it’s on the system somewhere. I wasn’t there when they attended so can’t confirm if he checked the flow switch but would assume he did!?

I feel a bit guilty as I was certain it was the boiler, but it must be a huge blockage somewhere on the pipework so I’ll get back there ASAP to try and locate it - will start with the feed and vent connections as previously suggested.

Thanks again everyone, really impressed with the forum, I’ve steered clear of (certain) forums for such a long time due to some negative people, but this is far different and appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I checked the wiring when I replaced the heating 2 port head, they’re both opening up fine as I’m getting good flow upstairs, certainly through the cylinder in the airing cupboard as I can feel and hear it.

Blockage must be on the return I can only assume. I’m going to put some chemicals in the filter and run it cold for a few days, see if that frees anything up.

Thanks guys, I checked the wiring when I replaced the heating 2 port head, they’re both opening up fine as I’m getting good flow upstairs, certainly through the cylinder in the airing cupboard as I can feel and hear it.

Blockage must be on the return I can only assume. I’m going to put some chemicals in the filter and run it cold for a few days, see if that frees anything up.

You keep saying you are getting "good flow". If there is "good flow", then by definition there is not an actual blockage.

The OHS is tripping. Therefore there is poor circulation. Suggesting a blockage. Ergo there is not "good flow". I fear that your perception of good flow is clouding your judgement, and causing you to assume too much.

Did you check the cold feed connection (assuming a header tank). this is by far the most common cause of this problem, in my experience. Sticking cleaner in a system with zero flow is probably a waste of , labour, time and cost.

My apologies, I’m not using the correct terminology. I mean that the pump is working well (I have changed it) and there is flow up to a certain point in the system, by good I mean that in the cylinder cupboard there is flow from the pump up to this point. So the blockage must be elsewhere. There is a header tank yes.

I’m confused. When you say circulating can you prove the water is moving? Are the pipes getting hot? Or are you just feeling vibration through the pipes

Reply to Help with a Baxi Solo 30 HE Regular in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock