Search the forum,

Discuss Help water leaking from my bath into flat below! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skidder

Thank-you all in advance.

As the title says in need of advice as not sure whether to call plumber out on new years eve!

I have a leak which i'm 99% sure is coming from my bathtub/pipes into my downstairs neighbours flat.

I bought the flat leasehold and have been here for 5 weeks but only had a bath twice a week(yuk..yes I know i've been decorating and only like showers and I don't have one at the moment)

This is the first sign of a leak downstairs that I know of.

This is what I don't understand.Ive just ran the tap for two baths and its no worse downstairs.(4.5 hours ago)
I took the bath panel off and I looked for every leak possible underneath.
Not a single drop.
Now before I went away I let some water go into the overflow(about two pints worth or more)just by mistake.
Now then later that day my neighbour says theres a drop of water(not bad).She said about a tennis ball size.I said let me know if it gets worse.
No call.
I get home 6 days later and fill the bath up twice and let it go through the overflow heavily to see if there is a leak.
A few droplets. So I seal it up and thought that was it.My neighbour then says its 3 times worse.
Now I have this problem.

I'm thinking maybe its the overflow somehow?
But its not leaking that I can see.

Happy new year all.

Chris

Try to avoid calling somebody out tonight, maybe keep the water turned off when your not in and then get a local trade out to take a gander when it wont cost you a fortune. Most guys on call out will come and turn your water off and leave telling you to arrange somebody to fix later.

If you post your location on the forum there may be a member near you who can take a look.

welcome to the forum.

Try to avoid calling somebody out tonight, maybe keep the water turned off when your not in and then get a local trade out to take a gander when it wont cost you a fortune. Most guys on call out will come and turn your water off and leave telling you to arrange somebody to fix later.

If you post your location on the forum there may be a member near you who can take a look.

welcome to the forum.

Also I filled my bath up with water last night and it was gone in the morning!!

Maybe a slow leak from the plughole seal?

I'm in Bournemouth.

Thank-you

Only run the bath if its an emergency and then call somebody out on the 2nd
Post where you are
It sounds like you've just got a leak on your overflow pipe?
Overflow will need to be sealed

Last edited:
I have posted but its awaiting moderation I think.

It could also be the plughole as I filled the bath up last night and in the morning it was empty!!

I'm in Bournemouth.

your posts have been modded now. it could be the seal round the top part of the waste, the silver part that the plug goes into.

your posts have been modded now. it could be the seal round the top part of the waste, the silver part that the plug goes into.

I accidentaly left the shower hose in the bath when it mysteriously emptied overnight.(its broken with no head to it connected to the tap head)

Is it possible that the water was sucked up into the overflow pipe thus leaking and leaving the bath empty?

Just a thought.

thanks

Chris

I need help here as its taking 17 hours to drip through(does this sound possible?) to the ground floor,i'm on the 1st floor with nobody above me.
Its now dripping again.
I'm in the bournemouth area.

Hi Skidder,

I hope you have insurance.

If you do - get the tenant below to get their insurance company involved, who will investigate and then put a claim through your insurance.

It's a tricky situation - but the best outcome may be for you to fork out your excess in this matter.

Try not to let it get to the stage where it becomes personal - you've only been there for 5 weeks.
Give the problem to a third party and let them resolve it

Hi Skidder,

I hope you have insurance.

If you do - get the tenant below to get their insurance company involved, who will investigate and then put a claim through your insurance.

It's a tricky situation - but the best outcome may be for you to fork out your excess in this matter.

Try not to let it get to the stage where it becomes personal - you've only been there for 5 weeks.
Give the problem to a third party and let them resolve it

I have contents insurance but its a leaseholder flat and the freeholder has the buildings insurance.

I can't get hold of the freeholder.

My lease states that I am liable for the pipes serving my flat and the freeholder communal pipes.

I have contents insurance but its a leaseholder flat and the freeholder has the buildings insurance.

I can't get hold of the freeholder.

My lease states that I am liable for the pipes serving my flat and the freeholder communal pipes.

Do what Oz says and let the insurance companies fight over it, not you and your new neighbour! Sounds like overflow is a red herring if its mainly dry behind panel. Leak could easily be under your floorboards between your floor and neighbours ceiling!!

I accidentaly left the shower hose in the bath when it mysteriously emptied overnight.(its broken with no head to it connected to the tap head)

Is it possible that the water was sucked up into the overflow pipe thus leaking and leaving the bath empty?

Just a thought.

thanks

Chris

In a word, no.

Just a thought -when informing the freeholder or your insurance.... :- AFTER the neighbour told you about the damp patch, you DID stop running baths immediately, didn't you?.....

Do what Oz says and let the insurance companies fight over it, not you and your new neighbour! Sounds like overflow is a red herring if its mainly dry behind panel. Leak could easily be under your floorboards between your floor and neighbours ceiling!!

The only problem with the insurance cover is that I am responsible for pipes solely supplying my flat due to my lease.Its likely that this is the case.

If the insurance company says this I could be hit with a massive bill from my freeholder.

Looks like get a plumber out first on me paying?

Great start to the new year...

Get your neighbor's insurance company to send someone out and investigate.
Don't get involved unless it is determined that the problem is from your flat.

This situation has the probability of getting very messy.
Keep your distance and let a 3rd party determine what is the fault and who will pay for the fault.

Worst outcome for you is that you will have to pay your insurance excess.
You may be very lucky just having just to pay that amount.

I haven't informed anybody.I called the freeholder and left a message stating did they have the new neighbours phone number(next door to me)as there is a leak downstairs.
I had no response(new years eve lunchtime)
I haven't stated that its my bathroom.

Your still gonna have to resolve plumbing issue, A process of elimination start by fitting a new bath waste combined overflow preferred one would be mcalpine FBW 2PC check all pipework joints copper and waste and check sealant around bath.
If it's still an issue it will pipework sub floor which could be a bigger problem as access is an issue
but a least you have ruled out issues to bath.
good luck

Fixed. The stopcock was leaking badly but only noticeable during the night.

Cheers for all the advice.

well done and thanks for taking the time to let us know the outcome

Hi,

Right the leak is now fixed but the plumber has left me with a humming noise(like a neumatic drill) all night from maybe midnight until I think the taps get used more about 9am.

It is loud and coming from the stop-cock area where he replaced the flange and washers I think.

The noise is also near the boiler which is a foot away from the stop-cock.

I nor the nieghbours could hardly sleep at all.

I've called him but he says hes not sure what it is.

This obviously only happened the night he repaired the stop-cock and has never happened before.

There is no noise now(during the day)

Thanks,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help water leaking from my bath into flat below! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock