Search the forum,

Discuss Help understanding a tightness test results. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stuaz

Hi I just want to start this post by saying I am not a gas engineer nor am I attempting to do any gas work.

I recently had a new kitchen fitted which involved a new gas hob.

After it it was fitted a month later I had a gas leak. The engineer from the gas company traced the leak back to the hob and claimed the pipe work was not correctly done. The previous engineer who fitted it had fitted it on a bend in the pipe work rather than using an adapter.

After replacing the piping no more leak.

I have the tightness test results from the original fitting. They state -

02:00 min time
-21.70 mbar p1
-21.38 mbar p2
-0.32 mbar difference

I haven't a clue what they mean but because it indicates a difference does that mean it indicates a leak?

thanks in advance :)

Did you check the gas safe details for the first person?

P1 start of test
P2 end of test

Difference drop between the two and no alot of things can affect this weather temperature etc

Yours looks perfectly fine and I would say there's no leak

I was thinking maybe a kitchen fitter did the work who isn't gas safe

I was thinking maybe a kitchen fitter did the work who isn't gas safe

Yea was thinking the same until I saw he took the time to write his test down, how many non gas safe would know how and would do it

So that test was the original test ???
Prior to being repaired ?

P1 start of test
P2 end of test

Difference drop between the two and no alot of things can affect this weather temperature etc

Yours looks perfectly fine and I would say there's no leak

Thanks. Can only conclude that it was a slow leak that got worse over time due to pipe work join.

Thanks for your help.

i dont think a gas safe registered person would leave a hob with a leak anyway.

them test results indicate a minor drop which as mentioned before could be due to temperature change etc.

if anyone adjusted the hob (position etc) after installation from the gas man that could have loosened the connection causing the leak you found.

i dont think a gas safe registered person would leave a hob with a leak anyway.

them test results indicate a minor drop which as mentioned before could be due to temperature change etc.

if anyone adjusted the hob (position etc) after installation from the gas man that could have loosened the connection causing the leak you found.

Hi, no one moved the hob after it was connected.

I did a check of the engineer and he is gas safe registered.

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the temperature stabilisation have occurred in the previous 1min settling time and as it's a new appliance the allowable drop zero?

Yes but if you have a digital man it reacts to temperature changes such as a cool breeze or heat from your hand etc

I thought you had to investigate a 0.25 mb drop on a digital meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help understanding a tightness test results. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've air tested pipework for years, typically 4 bar for 30 minutes. I've never had an issue with any pipework that has passed that test, occasionally you get a small leak from the air test typically old cap ends/scratched pipe which shows up easily on the test without having to inspect anything...
Replies
Views
I had a potential leak in the island kitchen drain, but it's no longer an issue after using an auger through the clean-out pipe. The water seemed to be coming out from the base of the pipe. I've removed a section of drywall for inspection purposes. After filling both sinks with water and...
Replies
Views
Good'ay Wondering what I have been doing wrong or what I should be doing differently. Have had some jobs lately where I will carry out a gas test on residential work and it will fail, I will isolate stove, hwu and any bayonet connections and still fail, I can do up to 6 testes on one job and...
Replies
Views
New LPG installation with 2x 19kg cylinders outside, plus change-over regulator with isolator valve on output, then 10 metres of 15mm copper pipe (3 soldered joints only) running into house to the kitchen, to gas hob (with another isolator just prior to hob). System Failing tightness test...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems to be slightly smaller than 22 mm compression fitting and when I tighten the compression nut the whole fitting is easily sliding off the pipe and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock