Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Tap tails to isolation valve. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am in the process of changing a sink unit.
You'll have to bear with me because I don't know all the precise terms.
I have the flexible hose that leads from the tap (I believe it's called a tap tail) and it connects to the msima via a nut. I wish to connect it to an isolation valve. However, when I remove the nilut and olive from the isolation valve I notice that the end of it is quite sharp. Should I use this, or is there an additional connector that is to be used.

Also there is an arrow on the valve. I presume to indicate flow direction. Does this need to point towards the taps?
If you were to use an isolation valve in the middle of a long run of pipe, how do you determine direct. Also, looking through one end of the pipe, there is acting of holes around the cenral bore, what are these for.

I'm am a complete novice so lots of info with no abreviabbrevi or assumption of parts is needed.

Many thanks.

Or use 15mm radiator valves tails if you have any spare.
Or use 1/2” x 15mm male straights tightened on to the pipe - that way you can have the isolating valves at any lower position convenient
Hope I am answering a genuine post?

+1 for snowheads suggestion.
In addition, fit full bore isolators NOT the ones you have. Those severely restrict flow to the tap.

Hi. YorkshireDave. Thanks for the reply. How do you know which ones I've got?

Snowhead. Thank you very much. Thats extremely helpful. I think that's exactly what I need. Do I remove the nut and olive from the isolation valve then place it on the tail of this adaptor?

Also, can some please explain the directional arrow on the isolation valve.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. How do you know which ones I've got?

No offence intended, but diy people don’t usually know any better and just buy the cheap small bore isolating valves, which also tend to leak, or fail when turned.
Also I guess majority of folk doing it themselves are cost conscious

Hi. YorkshireDave. Thanks for the reply. How do you know which ones I've got?

Snowhead. Thank you very much. Thats extremely helpful. I think that's exactly what I need. Do I remove the nut and olive from the isolation valve then place it on the tail of this adaptor?

Also, can some please explain the directional arrow on the isolation valve.

The tap tail adaptors (or rad valve tails) are tightened into the iso valve and the thread end is for the flexi hose (if it is a hose with a nut & flat rubber washer)
Simple as that.
The arrow to fit with flow direction is so that the valve is fitted leaving the valve works not in danger of pushing apart. And on another point - cheap iso valves are not for heating pipes.

Thank you for the reply.
Sorry, I didn't understand your explanation regarding the arrow on the valve is,

The tap tail adaptors (or rad valve tails) are tightened into the iso valve and the thread end is for the flexi hose (if it is a hose with a nut & flat rubber washer)
Simple as that.
The arrow to fit with flow direction is so that the valve is fitted leaving the valve works not in danger of pushing apart. And on another point - cheap iso valves are not for heating pipes.

Thank you for the reply.
Sorry, I didn't understand your explanation regarding the arrow on the valve is,

The parts inside the isolating valve are made in the factory pushed in from one end, pushed in same as direction arrow points. If you installed the valve wrong direction on high pressure, there is a risk those works could come apart inside.
I have never seen that occur though, despite finding many valves with arrow wrong direction

We know you have the cheap iso valves as the full bore valves don’t generally have a direction arrow...also you mentioned holes inside, this is the press fitted locking “ring” that holds the seals in.

Make sure the point of the arrow points towards the tap.

In terms of putting a valve in a long run of pipework, you just follow the flow... from the mains stopcock the arrows all point away.

Use the item in the first link to connect your tap tails to the iso valve, as yes, the sharp edge is not ideal to connect to, although many “plumbers” do.

All the best with the install.

Stu.

I normally use 15x 1/2 male irons, maybe ill try the tap tail connectors but they're more expensive oddly.

Not if you keep them from old valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help! Tap tails to isolation valve. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Anyone know of a pull out kitchen tap that has decent pressure? I have had low pressure from this tap for a number of years and it's not helped with the two 10mm tails that must reduce even further. Hoping something is around that I can use 15mm full bore tails and isolating valves but all...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use a push fit tap connector instead which will give me more flexibility in fitting?
Replies
Views
Hi all! I'm in the process of fitting a replacement undersink water heater in my shed and, as advised in the instructions (yes, I know, what am I doing reading those!), it reccommends connecting to the inlet and outlet using SS braided flexible hoses. Nothing wrong there me thinks. I dropped...
Replies
Views
This is going to sound stupid - but it is giving me problems. I have fitted new flexible tap hoses that each connects with a tap hose adaptor to give the recommended flat surface to connect to an isolator. All good except I cannot tighten the flexible hose hex nut without twisting the hose...
Replies
Views
Hi folks I need to fit a kitchen monobloc tap temporarily. A new sink unit will be going in soon so this will just be a stop gap. The current tap is connected with copper down to plastic pipes. I've attached photos below of what's there now and what the new flexi tails look like (is that a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock