Search the forum,

Discuss Help solve this friendly argument! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest123

We're having a (friendly) argument over whether it's right to fully open the main stopcock in a house or crack it open a few turns.
Right now it's 5 for against 2 and I'm curious to see the result on here. I'm not telling which way the voting is going until the result on here is counted!

:):):)

I'd vote for cracking it open then backing off half a turn , then is it sticks you can wiggle it both ways to free it up

i was always taught not to crack it right open but what do i know lol

Let me please rephrase this so that there are no misunderstandings. I should have said should a stopcock be opened nearly full or about half way?
Best out of 20 and the result should be interesting!

Normally fully open then back a half turn but it depends on the pressure. Sometimes it is best just open a few turns or the cold will blow the a..e out the sink and be up the walls when anyone uses it.

I'd vote for cracking it open then backing off half a turn , then is it sticks you can wiggle it both ways to free it up

Same. Full open and back half a turn. It seems if you don't go back half a turn the spindle seizes up.

Anyway as said, you can turn it a bit if its stiff and you have a bit of play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Open it up fully, and then back it off a bit. Around half a turn...that's what i was taught.

I think it's because if it sticks, you can wiggle it both ways.

I never leave em fully open. Funny really!

Yup!!

Full open then back a half turn or so.

That's why my mum taught me.

I'm with the majority on this one, fully open then one or half turn (Depends on mood) back

taught the same method fully open back half a turn,almost 40 years ago works for me:)regards turnpin

Well if they are on a water meter

Just turn on slightly to allow a dribble through the taps and rough rule of thumb, about 37 mins to fill loo,if they need any fast flowing water to wash hair or wash out tooth brush, they can stick head or brush down loo when flushed

If no meter water meter fitted,open fully and

party.gif
party.gif

Always worked for me !!

Hi
Thanks to all who replied, the answer is almost unanimous and is the one I argued for. Five of us said that a stopcock should be opened full then turned back half a turn, the other two said it should be opened half way.

Good to everyone agreeing on something which is rare on a forum.

gonna be the same all day long, aint it.

Fully open back half a turn to stop it gettin seized. if you get problems with water blowing out of a tap too fast and spraying everywhere either fit a flow regulator or fit/throttle back a iso valve at point of use till desired flow is reached.

We're having a (friendly) argument over whether it's right to fully open the main stopcock in a house or crack it open a few turns.
Right now it's 5 for against 2 and I'm curious to see the result on here. I'm not telling which way the voting is going until the result on here is counted!

:):):)

bored are we?:D

Fully open then back 1/2 a turn.

If you want to limit the flow use a PRV and flow limiter. Relying on the stopcock can cause the jumper to virbrate and the pipes to be noisy.

ill have to ask the love slave thats his department , putting his hand down dark holes

Who brought back this thread! Goad someone must have trolled through posts. Must have too much time on their hands! LOL

Always open full then 180' turn close. Makes it easy for the next man to use. End of

Open sd valve fully open and crack back. If valve is half closed, eventually the water can wear away part part of the seating and it wont shut off

stop taps are designed to be adjustable, the right answer is to open it up enough to allow the cold water system to operate correctly.

if your bypassing the meter tho, open meters valve 1/8 to keep it ticking over alittle! JOKE:)

Open it enough to eliminate the chance of immediate death resulting solely from a stop tap not being open enough. Or too far.

its basic engineering practice open fully then turn back if you leave it fully open the thread is jammed tight together and will sieze

I open the valve then turn the cold tap on then play with the stopcock to make sure its not making too much noise when there is good pressure,,

As I started this thread way back, can I say that I agree with everyone who opens the valve fully then cracks it back a half turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help solve this friendly argument! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock