1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Help regarding leaking shower tray pretty please in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Hdel53

Hdel53 New Member

Hi I hope I'm in the right place to ask a question about a shower problem. We have moved into a house with what I think is called a low profile shower tray (pictured). Anyway when we use it, we've noticed the water runs down past the screen and spills over the top of the lip of the tray, basically flooding the floor. The drain/hole (trap?) has been cleaned and water does drain down it.

Long term our plan would be to remove the whole thing, but in the interim we have limited funds to do much would you guys say this is a fixable problem (fixed by a pro obviously) without being too costly, or are we going to just have to wait until we can have it replaced?

Any advice gratefully received

IMG_20190516_124243.jpg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Easy way to fix is to get a solid peace of plastic to glue from the screen to the tiles to give you extra height

3. Hdel53

Hdel53 New Member

Thank you I was wondering this, something to make the lip higher. Any ideas on what adhesive I could use that wouldn't be affected by the water?

4. ShaunCorbs

Sticks like sh£t clear and then seal around after that’s set with some dow 785 clear or white

• Like Like x 1
  5. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

If it's water getting past your shower screen then a deflector panel may help in keeping the water in the tray.
    Kudos Ultimate2 300mm 8mm Glass Hinged Deflector Panel - Chrome at Victorian Plumbing UK

You also say water does go down the waste, does all of it go down or does it slightly back up? Another thing to check is if the shower tray is actually level. If it slopes away from the waste then this isn't going to help your problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Hdel53

Hdel53 New Member

Oh very good points thank you. Tbh I've only used the thing a couple of times so will need to double check. If the water gets backed up slightly (I'm thinking it might) does that indicate a problem with the trap? I was also wondering about whether it slopes the wrong way - I'll check that out. Thanks for the link I'll take a look.

7. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

If it backs up a little then it's either the trap or the waste pipe that may be partially blocked. You should be able to clean the trap out from above and depending on the route of and what material the waste pipe is made of, it shouldn't be too difficult to clean this out either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hdel53

Hdel53 New Member

Oh very good points thank you. Tbh I've only used the thing a couple of times so will need to double check. If the water gets backed up slightly (I'm thinking it might) does that indicate a problem with the trap? I was also wondering about whether it slopes the wrong way - I'll check that out. Thanks for the link I'll take a look.

Okay I just had a look at the link and a think about it and I don't think the deflector would help. The current screen sits on the raised edge of the tray, so anything attached to it will also have a gap underneath. The water seems to make a stream which travels down the edge of the screen and then spills onto the floor, rather than the floor getting wet from splashes if that makes sense. So water will seep under any deflector panel I think

9. ShaunCorbs

Sounds like the tray isn’t level left to right

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

I would not right off your shower tray at all, unless you want a bath in its place.
    1. Check and clean out the shower trap, and often ..hair etc
    2. check its level using a good level ..even a few mm with these shallow ones makes a lot of difference ..if not just push a flat head screwdriver in and adjust and push in a plastic wedge
    3.get some sillycon and make it
    water tight in the short term

centralheatking

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

I would not right off your shower tray at all, unless you want a bath in its place.
    1. Check and clean out the shower trap, and often ..hair etc
    2. check its level using a good level ..even a few mm with these shallow ones makes a lot of difference ..if not just push a flat head screwdriver in and adjust and push in a plastic wedge
    3.get some sillycon and make it
    water tight in the short term

centralheatking

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber

Don’t follow the above advice (2) .

I’m sorry but if you push in a screwdriver and lift it with a plastic wedge : a) probably break off a chunk from the bottom skirt of the tray,
    b)the tray will probably snap in half, as if you lift one end you will have the tray unsupported over most of its length - these trays need full support ( solid bed if flat to floor, or at least a dozen legs if raised)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Hdel53

Hdel53 New Member

Thank you for the advice. I don't think we would do that in any event. Don't mind a bit of DIY like adding a door or some kind of riser, but wouldn't mess with the fitting of anything as we don't know what we're doing.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do I check whether the tray isn't level? I got my spirit level out and it suggested it was slightly sloped, but on the side of going towards the drain.. isn't that how it should be?

14. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

You want to use the spirit level across the flat outer rims of the shower tray. Length and width ways. This is where the tray should show level.

15. Hdel53

Hdel53 New Member

Ahh okayyyyy thanks I will do that tonight if it shows as wonky is there any way to fix it? Is it a big job?