Search the forum,

Discuss Help ! Question regarding Tiger loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hypnosis

Hi,
Firstly, thanks to anyone who replies, really appreciate you taking time to read and help!

Hope someone can help me as I am getting conflicting messages regarding the installation of the tiger loop.
I have a Heatslave 12/14 oil boiler, which is located on the second floor at the back of our house. The Tiger loop is located on the ground floor (also at back of house), approx. 10 foot below the boiler and then maybe 5 metres back from it.
The oil tank is located approx. 4 metres horizontally away from the tiger loop and probably 1 foot below the ground level of the tank.

We have been told by some plumbers that the Tiger loop needs to be fitted above the boiler or it wont work. However another plumber has now told us that is not the case, it would be fine where it is, as that is what it is designed for.

Does the Tiger Loop have to be positioned above the boiler, or is it okay for it to be placed as described above? It had worked fine for years (we moved in 11 years ago and for at least the first 4 years we didn't have any boiler problems, was new boiler when moved in, cant confirm if Tiger Loop is older or not). It did work for years without a problem so tending to think its more of a suggestion rather than a requirement but could anyone advise?

Hello and Welcome to the forum. It really is a job for an oil qualified person to say where the Tigerloop should be fitted and to do any work. No point in asking non oil people advice.
I would say that the Tigerloop should be close to the boiler region and about same level as the burner.
A standard Tigerloop is not permitted to vent into a building, so if internal it needs a more expensive model.

Thankyou so much for the reply, I was hoping there may be the odd qualified plumber who might view posts here and that could maybe advise but I really appreciate any feedback from anyone with plumbing experience with the Tiger Loop.

Thanks!

Thankyou so much for the reply, I was hoping there may be the odd qualified plumber who might view posts here and that could maybe advise but I really appreciate any feedback from anyone with plumbing experience with the Tiger Loop.

Thanks!

I have done the oil qualifications, plus have always worked on oil.
Never have fitted Tigerloops anywhere other than close to oil boiler at near burner level as it makes sense to do it that way for so many technical reasons and to simplify install.
Problem is we cannot give detailed advice on oil work on open forum as it requires somebody deemed competent to touch oil.
Too many DIY it and it really can be dangerous

Last edited:
Generally find the over install of a tiger loop. If the boilers upstairs then so should the loop.

Thanks both, I wasn't planning to install/move it myself as I'm not qualified, but I have had different answers from different qualified plumbers, due to the layout of the house/walls/boiler location, its very awkward to place the tiger loop outside at same height level as all the piping now goes within the walls of the house via a different route, and in the boiler cupboard, there is very little room to work with to use the aluminium internal versions, but as it looks like it needs replacing, it was mainly to see whether its worth just changing it to a new one, in the old position, or whether to have to pay out for it all to be re-piped outside the house to a more elevated position.

Thanks again for help and advice :)

The tiger loop needs to be at least level with the burner as Best has said. If inside an internal loop has to be used with a vent pipe to outside. Just bear in mind that 4m is the max height the loop with pull the oil up. It may do more but just bear this in mind. Failing that use an oil lifter but they are much more expensive and they can be problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help ! Question regarding Tiger loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm attending a wet underfloor heating system, it's an old one ..No flow meters, just adjustable valves on the returns with conventional actuators. Problem is , one loop (far right in photo) isn't heating the floor (timber suspended) . I've bled the loop via a hosepipe, shut off all the other...
Replies
Views
On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in the safe zone . When I switch boiler off the next day it’s back in the red It could be one of the valves leaking . Can I take the loop off , which...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
R
Hi, We‘be recently moved into a property with a very old Potterton statesman. My husband bled the radiators last night…and since then he’s called all sorts of problems! There is now only one tiny radiator with heat in it. There is no pressure gauge on the boiler , I can’t find a full loop on...
Replies
Views
I
I've had my tado system in my new build for 5 years now and it's been fine. Yesterday morning I changed the batteries on the second floor thermostat and now it's not switching on the boiler to heat that floor. The thermostat display is fine and the app is fine. All systems say they are fine and...
Replies
Views
Good morning, wondered if anyone can advise please on a resolution? My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed detached with 21 radiators (includes 4 towel rails), a 6m x 4m orangery/conservatory that was built last year with under-floor heating, and a Megaflo for storing hot water. The UFH...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock