Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Help please need a mentor in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. saghir

saghir New Member

hi, my name is saghir and i have compelted my 12 months options skills course. to finish my course i need to complete a portfolio of work for them. i have tried to get a mentor around my area of heckmondwike but been difficult to say the least. I can travel to Bradford, leeds, Dewsbury, Batley and towns in between if anyone is willing to be my mentor. I have completed the course with options skills in manchester but that is a way away to travel. If anyone can help i would be most gratefull. If anyone can, the option skills is offering free ACS exam. Thankyou.

2. saghir

saghir New Member

Really come on someone can help!

3. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

This is the problem with these training companies. Do half a job and then leave you hanging.

But why start a course when there's no way to complete your portfolio?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. saghir

saghir New Member

Need positive replies, someone willing to help, not negative where accusations and finger point. Ta.

5. SimonG

Just asked a question. Why start a course with no way of being qualified.

Not negative, just honest.

If your lucky you and your paddle just might find somebody to get you back from the top of $hit creek.

But I doubt it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. saghir

saghir New Member

First of all that is negative and inappropriate. 2nd of all its not ur business why I took to do a course, but in your case I will let you know its because I enjoy the work. 3rd I don't need a paddle it's a motor boat and you being you please keep remarks such as you made to ur self. I'm on here getting information and learning, where as you are on here trying to pass judgement.
    Don't be a hater man.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. SimonG

Still honest.

Only a fool would start a journey with no way of finishing.

8. saghir

saghir New Member

Only a fool would say something without knowing the situation.

Honest truth.

You seem to be an unwitting end of a conversation, that's not here not there.

Enjoy. Regards

9. SimonG

I know the situation though.

Like many, you started a course that leads nowhere except for yourself to be begging on a forum for help to finish the course and get a bit of paper.

See too much of it.

Now ask yourself this.

Is a professional plumber/heating engineer going to work slower, lose money, to complete your portfolio for a free ACS?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. quality

quality Plumber GSR

keep plugging at it you may get what you want and need

11. saghir

saghir New Member

Maybe not all are cynical as you mate. Maybe there are those out there who will.

You keep at it.

12. SimonG

No mate of mine.

Who's cynical?

Typical fool who doesn't like the truth.

Anyway, on a positive note and for anybody reading and looking at doing the same.

1. Read as much about your chosen profession.
    2. Find somebody in the business first.
    3. For the younger ones, an apprenticeship.
    4. For those of more mature years look at labouring for a plumber/heating engineer or becoming a plumbers mate.
    5. Then look at further education/training with your employers blessing.
    6. You can then train and complete your portfolio no problem.

For the training, look for reputable centres, not just those who want to take your money and don't care how you complete your portfolio.

I always thought once upon a time you couldn't progress through your training without being in employment and being able to practice what you had learnt.

13. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

saghir, use the little white search box in top r/hand corner for past posts identical to your own and you will see why SimonG says what he does.
    Wishing you luck in your search but fear you will need it.