Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Help I'm drowning ! Danesmore 20/25 oil pump issue in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

No list of oil guys however it does have a "Looking for a ." section

• Like Like x 1
  2. Farghi

Farghi New Member

So I booked an Oftec engineer, he replaced the pump(I've done that!)
    He replaced the control box ( I'd done that !)
    It fired up! Hurrah!
    Do you need to adjust the pump pressure ? I asked
    No they are matched to the burner !
    Any other adjustments necessary?
    No that will work just fine!
    I paid the man and off he went
    So conclusions
    He didn't use any of his test or diagnostic tools
    He didn't alter the pump pressure
    What he did do as fit a working control box
    I was sold a duff control box so that is why the boiler wouldn't fire up
    It's cost me an extra £100 for someone swap parts that I already had done ..not knowing the brand new part I fitted was defective !
    Thank you for all the answers with regards this problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Disgraceful! I assume then he didn't give you any paperwork or test reading, given he didn't do any oil pressure or flue gas tests?
    Contact OFTEC and ask them how one of their qualified technicians can fit a new oil pump when a control box was faulty?
    Also ask how a new replacement oil pump can somehow be matched to the burner without pressure being set, or an analyser used, according to this guy?
    Better still, first contact the boiler manufacturer and ask them are their boilers fitted with special burners that oil pumps can be just bunged on?
    On that B11 burner it is very easy to put an oil gauge on it. Looks like you have unfortunately found a qualified oil guy who hasn't a clue, or doesn't care.
    Can't say I am surprised.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I agree with Best. Oil Burners should always be set up for the Boiler they are on. They are not specifically designed for any particular boiler. You need to get that checked asap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Feel,for you .
    You took the advice and get an idiot!

Sorry for the state of our trade:(

• Like Like x 2
  6. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

It does not surprise me at all to be honest.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Farghi

Farghi New Member

Thanks for the replies I do appreciate it, I'll will ask around at the supplier of the faulty control box when I return it to see if they know of any engineers who are more attuned to OFTEC and general oil safety standards

• Like Like x 1
  8. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

That is truly bad. As last engineer in I always get the analyser out. Even if it's not a combustion related visit.

Few months ago went to a no oil call out. Ran out, just needs bleeding, nobody's touched it. Bled oil and fired first time. Analyser in and co @ 2500ppm. Somebody had tried to bleed it and screwed up the pump pressure.
    Used plenty of ink on that one.

I can only apologise for the muppet you found. Gives us good guys a bad rep.

Always like to think a good engineer is like a puppy.
    For life, not just for Christmas.

No neighbours with oil that could recommend?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Used to be that some Danfoss oil pumps came out of the box set at 10 bar and it stated that on instructions. (That was too high for Kerosine and all boilers MIs were lower.)
    Yet I used to find when I serviced or repaired boilers that if someone had previously replaced the oil pump, the pressure setting had never been set.
    No matter how much I am in a hurry, - like over busy and out fitting a nozzle or oil pump on an evening, I still do a final analyser test.
    Also you never know who, as Simon says, had a go bleeding the oil pump. Seen a few with 20 bar pressure

10. Farghi

Farghi New Member

Again thanks for the observations, I will endeavor to find an honest, reliable, valued oil engineer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. oz-plumber

oz-plumber Plumber

Call the bloke back and say can he send you a copy the FGA report.
    Say it is required for the manufactures warranty and insurance purposes.

I wnt to a gas boiler the other week. The owner had had the gas valve changed, the pump changed & the PCB changed and the problem still persisted.
    Problem - flame sensing probe was touching the burners causing burner to fail after 10 or so seconds.
    Not only did I fix the problem, I walked away with a operating gas valve, pump & PCB that were sitting next to the boiler.

He left some real nasty Google reviews on the company that did the install and subsequent repairs - they offered to refund all the money they charged him for repairs if the owner would remove the reviews.
    He got his all his money back.

• Like Like x 1