Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Help identifying component on gas supply pipe in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at

  1. windyboy

    windyboy New Member

    I have been surveying an empty house for an insurance company. The gas supply was isolated at a quarter turn ball valve upstream of the meter, but there was also a component upstream of that valve that I didn't recognise. Attached to it Gas pipe label.jpg was a Southern Gas Networks label that had a tick at the 'full disconnection' box. The only gas appliance was the boiler and I had no intention of opening the ball valve to see what was going on.

    Can anyone tell me what the grey component just above the label is? I wondered if it could be a permanent isolation device fitted by SGN.

    Thanks for any help.
  2. Last Plumber

    Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    It's a reducing fitting with two plugs in the side.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. windyboy

    windyboy New Member

    Thank you. Are the threaded holes just tapping points for something?
  4. Last Plumber

    Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

  5. windyboy

    windyboy New Member

    Thanks again.
  6. PhoenixServices

    PhoenixServices Plumber GSR

    That’s for sgn to test from. Looks like they have capped it above that.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. windyboy

    windyboy New Member

    Thanks Ph Ser.

    Above the reducer there's an elbow and then another (plastic) fitting that I don't recognise. After that the ball valve and the meter. The SGN label is ticked at the 'full disconnection' box but it seems to me that the only isolation is closed valve.

    Gas pipe 2.jpg
  8. pipeman-

    pipeman- Plumber GSR

    Maybe blanking disc in meter
  9. windyboy

    windyboy New Member

    Could be. I didn't think of that.

    Any idea what the black plastic fitting is?
  10. Last Plumber

    Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Are you trying to put this back on?
  11. windyboy

    windyboy New Member

    No way. The house has been empty for at least a year so who knows what's going on. I'm definitely not touching any part of the gas supply.

    Partly this is self-education - I like to know what I'm looking at and these are new components to me. Partly I'm trying to judge whether the insurance company will need to get SGN out before they get a plumber out.
  12. Neil Callaway

    Neil Callaway GSR

    The fitting with the plug usually means the steel service has been inserted with a new plastic service. The plugs allow the annular space between the steel and plastic to be filled.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Darren Jackson

    Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

    Those electric cables should not be there!
  14. jefaz

    jefaz Plumber GSR

    Late to this one but as none have got it maybe I can help for the future. The first fitting with the 2 plugs in is a service head adaptor. This means the service is plastic slotted inside the steel....the holes are used to ‘foam it off’ basically inject a fire proof substance which coats the plastic in the event of a fire.
    The second is an ‘IJ’ or insulation joint. This is there in the event an electrical fault develops in the street and travels up the steel service, it will reach this joint which melts and stops continuity to stop internal pipes going live.
  15. windyboy

    windyboy New Member

    Thanks, Jefaz. Much better late than never, I really appreciated that.
Similar Threads - Help identifying component Forum Date
Can anyone help in identifying this concealed thermostatic shower valve? Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms Sunday at 7:21 PM
Going to install a Magnetic filter some help needed identifying pipes Central Heating Forum Oct 15, 2018