Search the forum,

Discuss Help! How to insulate a fortic / combination cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boilingpoint

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone good give me some good advice on how to go about insulating a Fortic / combination water cylinder.

A problem I have is that a "standard" cylinder jacket isn’t long enough. The panels barely cover the full length of the cylinder and there's nothing left to cover the flat surface on top. In fact, the plumber who's (tried to) fit the jacket pulled one of the panels up and across the top, leaving part of the side of the tank bare. :/

Do they make jackets designed for combination cylinders? I've tried Googling but nothing's coming up. Help--and any other tips--would be appreciated.

If you are having to insulate that cylinder it's a old one !!!
The only thing you can do is try cable tie sereral insulation jackets together and wrap it lol

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone good give me some good advice on how to go about insulating a Fortic / combination water cylinder.

A problem I have is that a "standard" cylinder jacket isn’t long enough. The panels barely cover the full length of the cylinder and there's nothing left to cover the flat surface on top. In fact, the plumber who's (tried to) fit the jacket pulled one of the panels up and across the top, leaving part of the side of the tank bare. :/

Do they make jackets designed for combination cylinders? I've tried Googling but nothing's coming up. Help--and any other tips--would be appreciated.

WHy would you want to cover the flat part on top?

They used to make jackets called HPO (hot part only), but I haven't seen one for years, since all new combination cylinders have been foamed.

I want to insulate the top (cold water) storage section to keep the heat within the system as whole. Since the cold water storage feeds into the hot water section, it makes sense to retain any heat it picks up. I don't think there's any insulation between the hot and cold sections, so heat leaks upward pretty badly... or so my plumber says. :/

Yes, it IS an old cylinder. Overlapping jackets is the best solution so far. Keep the suggestions coming...

Build a box out of 50mm kings span? Pegged together.

you could use that multi layer foil stuff they use to insulate roof voids but it's quite expensive.

A duvet or two for the top is an idea. It would be easier than trying to overlap panels and with it being one piece it would mean no heat escaping any the gaps. I'll have a look at the figures and report back.

Okay, if my sums are right, duvet material is actually much more effective (per unit thickness) than than fibreglass fill. Assuming a 13.5 tog winter duvet is 30mm thick, the same insulation provided by a decent 80mm fibreglass cylinder jacket can be achieved with duvet layers to a total of thickness of 44mm. (I know that cheaper duvets can be notorious for patchy heat loss, so this figure might need to be adjusted upward for quality.) Does anyone know what the situation is with using a duvet and any fire safety requirements?

A Kingspan box is a thought but I imagine that sealing the box airtight around the cylinder would be a challenge. I've read online that bubble wrap is a "free" and effective form of insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help! How to insulate a fortic / combination cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably because of the set-up) but last year got so feeble that a guy suggested fitting a pump alongside the cylinder. This can work fine but then all of a...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Apologies for the mammoth post but my neighbours and I really need some advice... I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016. The apartment is still under the NHBC 10yr warranty. Since moving in, I discovered that the rainwater pipe that runs through my winter garden balcony...
Replies
Views
Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve. There is...
Replies
Views
I'm planning to get an air source heat pump (ASHP) installed and I'm considering my options about the location of the water cylinder as I live in a small house and space is a premium. I was thinking about building a small insulated shed about 20 to 25 metres away from the house to put the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a Worcester greenstar danesmoor 18/25 oil boiler. Covers 10 radiators mostly large double panels, some towel rails and smaller rads too, as well as an...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock