Search the forum,

Discuss Help for a beginner please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

just learning

Hi, i am a couple of weeks into a college course and have a question i would be grateful for some help with. Can anyone tell me "What problems might the changing density of water in relation to temperature cause plumbers"? Many thanks in advance.

Water changes density when it turns into ICE, ice also expands and if a plug of ice forms in a pipe and does not move, because of , say an elbow, as the ice expands, it exerts a compressive force on the water, water can not be compressed, so this force could cause a compression fitting to "blow off", the pipe or the pipe can burst

Many thanks, had found something similar in meaning somewhere but they didn't quite word it so i could picture it. You, on the other hand have done just that. Thanks again for your help.

Heres one for you
at what temperature is water at its greatest density ?

4 degrees c

What scale is absolute temperature measured in?

Last edited:
i dont know about you plouasne, well i think i do in this tense, but you learn all this stuff, even french for me (which i was very good at) and if you dont use it for years it goes somewhere in the cobwebs of my brain.:D
always had this brain concept of ''do i need to know that?'' then dont use up valuable storage space.
my wife says if i contract altsimers in the next ten years i have to let her know?.:confused:

p.s just kidding on thekelvin scale one though.:eek:

If I remember from my training for motor mechanic when I left school....I think it ranged from 273 to 373
Err...I think

We ought to have a "Plumbers Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" quiz(before anyone goes on about real finances)!!!

Last edited:
A question for Just Learning, what does the word Eutectic mean, and where would you find it in plumbing

Also why would a spoon made out of Woods metal or Fields metal, be no good to stir your tea or coffee with ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it change state a a low temperature, or something along those lines????

Another one ??

Where in plumbing would I expect to find a Bourdon Tube ??

A bit like a rupture disc so in releif valve i think:)

Another one ??

Where in plumbing would I expect to find a Bourdon Tube ??
I know where to find the pack of bourbons!!!!!:)

What is the relative density of Cu?

Last edited:
Funny you should say that, half these questions are part of my 'plumbing key principles' and 'science of plumbing'.

but like you said will you ever need to know any of these things??

i suppose it cant hurt, and the more knowledge you have about something can only help.

I've needed a packet of Bourbons but as for the rest I think the customer's more interested in having a good job done at a good value rate and with as little inconvenience as possible.

I remember the first theory session I did on my course was the water cycle (sea, mountains, clouds, etc). Padding and no more.

Could anyone answer this one then because for the love of god i cant find the answer anywhere:confused:

As rainwater is naturally solvent to begin with, how does it become more solvent..

answers on a post card please.

I know where to find the pack of bourbons!!!!!:)

What is the relative density of Cu?

Try this link, (below), but the density or SC is about 9

Specific Gravity Of Metals Table

has anyone ever needed any of this ?

You just showing what you have forgotten or was not taught at the tech Steve

A question for Just Learning, what does the word Eutectic mean, and where would you find it in plumbing

Also why would a spoon made out of Woods metal or Fields metal, be no good to stir your tea or coffee with ??

Eutectic is a term used when a substance changes its state from a solid to a liquid, with very little plastic range, (tinmans solder for example, melting point 180°c, fully liquid at 183°c) or from a solid to a gas, solid Co² changes from a solid to a gas without any liquid phase

Woods and Fields metal are metals with a very low melting point, below 100°c, and can be used in fusible links or used for the stays in sprinkler heads, instead of glass phials

Woods metal melting point 70°c
Fields metal melting point 62°c

Another interesting alloy
Rose's metal, also known as “Rose metal” and “Rose's alloy” is a fusible alloy with a low melting point. Rose's metal consists of 50% Bi (bismuth), 25–28% Pb (lead) and 22–25% Sn (tin); its melting point is 100 °C (212 °F). Rose's metal is typically used as a solder. Its special property is that it does not contract on cooling. It was used to secure cast iron railings and balusters in pockets in stone bases and steps.

Smeaton when he built the Eddystone light house, used Lead dovetails to hold the stone blocks in place on the rock after he had, had it trimmed by stone masons, to stop the seawater from getting into the dovetail cuts, when the rock was covered at high tide, he had the dovetails cut in the rock filled with tallow, which when the lead was poured melted the tallow, and because the tallow had filled the dovetails before the rising tide covered the rock and filled the dovetails with water, this stopped the lead from exploding when it was poured into the previously cut dovetails

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as im aware the property of water is its ability to disolve gases and solids to form sloutions 'solvent power':confused:

so how would this become more solvent:confused:

would it not be good idea to set up a 'begineners page' so all us newbies could ask/swap info regarding ceratain aspects of plumbing???/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help for a beginner please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock