Search the forum,

Discuss Help a clueless homeowner! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello
We had a brand new Worcester Bosch boiler installed less than a year ago as part of a major house refurb (every pipe, rad etc is brand new). Over the weekend we noticed that the pressure was dropping quickly and regularly (going from 1.5 to 0 every 2-3 hours). We had the gas engineer who installed the boiler and all the pipe work out on Mon to see what the problem might be- he isolated the two areas of underfloor heating, went underneath the house to check pipe work there, etc. No visible leaks. Last thing he did was open the boiler cover and to his surprise he diagnosed a faulty heat exchanger (you could literally see and hear the water dripping straight into the condenser). WB came out today and replaced it, the engineer said when he removed it a lot of water came with it. We whacked on the heating, he bled all rads, all fine and dandy- pressure holding well. Just been to check it and 4 hours later the pressure’s creeping down again. Not as rapid a loss as last time but definitely down by .5. Have taken into account that it would drop a little when heating off but this was when heating was on. In the meantime I’d turned on a rad that was previously off (but had been bled). So...my question is.. (and sorry for being a numbskull) but could a leak going from the boiler through to the outside wall somewhere cause water to effectively ‘backwash’ into the boiler itself hence drenching the heat exchanger? What should I be asking our gas engineer to look at next? Any idea what’s going on? Sorry if I haven’t explained things very well...

Thanks so much Simon. I fear it may have been me being a dimwit and panicking. Now the heating has been on a while the pressure is up to 2 (I topped it up to 1.5). Now I’ve probably put too much pressure in, FML!

Think you were just unlucky these things can happen i fitted a valliant that needed the heat exchanger replacing after a few weeks , keep a close eye on it top up and vent as necessary to 1.2 bar cold it should go no higher than 2bar when up to temperature . Kop

Reply to Help a clueless homeowner! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Boiler is losing pressure, from 1.5 bar to 0 bar in about 4 hours. Have checked all rads and seem to be fine, no water out external prv pipe. If the heat exchanger is faulty what do I need to look for? There is a constant run of water from the condensate pipe when heating on but not sure...
Replies
Views
R
Wb 4000 recently installed, and just balanced the rads with around 16 degree delta across most rads. I'm trying to make sure that the return temperature to the boiler are less than 55 degrees to ensure condensing is occurring. But in the service menu it only shows the primary heat exchanger...
Replies
Views
Return temperature
R
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock