Search the forum,

Discuss Hello from Romania. Young old person intrested in the past. in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello. My name is Ştefan (or Steven, if you like).
I'm from Bucharest, capital of Romania. Borned here, raised here.
My passion for some old plumbing cames from the fact that I have a certain fascination for pre-1949 bigger apartament buildings in Bucharest (Bucharest is only one city in Romania that haves a lot of them; there are just few other cities that haves let's say more then a few 3 stories apartament buildings built in that period),
trought all that my dream is to live in a pre 1941 single house (so no neibghours attached to the walls) - I do live in a communist apartament building (quite o.k. building).
If on electricity domanian you can find for sale some forgein books published before communism, on sanitary and heating instaltions, I dind't found no big general one, except for a 1930 German one (hard to traduce, since it was priting using Fraktur alphabet). I found only one scanned catalogue. Fourtenley, up untill early '60's some of the pre-war stuff was preserved in manufacturing armatures and installations, so I can find some info on postwar books (in pre-communist Romania there wheren't to many tehcnical books published) some infos. But I want to find more. And I was amazed that building heating could be partially automated. Oh, I was borned a few years before fall of Ceauşescu, so some thing are still amazing to me, even if before 2000-2002 you could find very old stuff still in work here, but I didn't had the curiosity and the knowledge of what to ask back then...

What is it you are looking for Stefan? At that time most of our domestic plumbing was lead which cannot be used nowadays and domestic heating was rare as we didn't have district heating systems on the scale used in Eastern Europe. Most people just had a coal fire, sometimes it heated the hot water via a back boiler.

My 1st inrerest where some kind of mono-command taps that I found in an around 1930 book, in German.
But I do have an intresr in the old housing instalations too. The way they where built (in Romania, 'specially before communism or the masive program of appartament bulings) and how much they will last.

I know that central heating wasn't use in such a large scale in Western Europe, trough all that some have district heating (and district cooling! in some cases).
But I do hate the dismantling of the heating units in old large buildings (let's say at least 30 apartaments) and replacing them with own individual heating units. I would have had taxed that. After all, it's a big bulding, not an individual house or a 6 apartemnts builing.

If you are trying to fit old plumbing fittings you need to be careful of a few things, for example an old tap may look good on the outside but be corroded or worn inside. Our older heating systems worked by gravity and have been superseded because they were inefficient.

How they worked with gravity?
I know that some might be corroded. Depends on them... I had a no more then 10 years old new mixing tap. One day I accidentally hit it with a lighean (basin for manually washing clothses) and bang, up it went. I had without my will an artesian well into my bathroom. It was from some kind of Zinc, that why it was so weak.

Reply to Hello from Romania. Young old person intrested in the past. in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock