Search the forum,

Discuss Hello from new member in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, just joined up.

Mainly looking for advice to keep an old boiler going until next year when we get a new boiler.

Cheers
Mike

Hello Mike,

Welcome along.
What advise are you seeking ? You cannot work on the boiler unless you are gas safe. So, you should really Service your boiler if you haven't done it yet. What sort of boiler have you got?

Hi it's a Halstead Best 50, that won't turn off unless the power is isolated, just posted in the central heating part. Just wanted a bit of advice before I call someone out to look at it. Having a new Combi system next year so wanted to minimise the cost of keeping this one going as it all going to get ripped out and done properly.

Cheers
Mike

Hello and welcome

Hi it's a Halstead Best 50, that won't turn off unless the power is isolated, just posted in the central heating part. Just wanted a bit of advice before I call someone out to look at it. Having a new Combi system next year so wanted to minimise the cost of keeping this one going as it all going to get ripped out and done properly.

Cheers
Mike
I guess the best advice I could give you is to look for a local gas safe reg engineer and get him out to discuss about the issues you've got and how to minimise the cost as you are looking for to do a new installation next year.

I guess the best advice I could give you is to look for a local gas safe reg engineer and get him out to discuss about the issues you've got and how to minimise the cost as you are looking for to do a new installation next year.

Going to start from scratch with the new system, want to move the boiler to a better location and replace all the rads as they're a bit old. will be able to junk all the tanks and some of the existing pipework, just not sure the best way regarding the heating pipe work and whether to match it in to the existing heating pipe work or re do it all. Going to get a few installers round for advice and some quotes.

We moved in last year so just wanted to mimimise the cost of keeping this one going over winter. we've got an electric shower and a woodburner so tried to convince the girlfriend we don't need heating until we get a new boiler but shes having non of it :)

Its worked fine up till now but the current one seems a bit DIY in places, gradually realising the previous owner must have been a bit of a bodger.

Hi Mikey,

If you have got the budget for next year to do the whole lot then I would definitely do it. Perhaps your central heating system has never been flushed through and you already have some pipe sections which are small due to scale, sludge etc.
Basically it's not a bad idea to get it properly done especially if you want to move some radiators, boiler re locations as well as insulate the whole flow & return so you will make sure that the heat goes straight to the rads and not somewhere else. You also are able to pipe size the system properly without any ups and downs and dead legs.

Keep us posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hello from new member in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock