Search the forum,

Discuss Hello from a newbie with a project in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening All,

Currently in the process of building an extension. At about 90m² it's a decent sized project and one that has causes me many sleepless nights - I always seem to do every job three times in my head before tackling the actual job itself.

I'm doing all the plumbing and electrics myself - all above board so BC sign it off.

Plumbing has been relatively straight forward so far but insulation is about to go down on the floor slab so I'm getting to the stage where I will need to install the underfloor heating pipework which is less straight forward as it's not something I've done before hence why I'm here to research previous posts. I'll also be re-plumbing the existing house and am considering re-pluming the existing heating too, possibly with manifold which I'm new to so again, researching that.

Off to read through several months of previous posts to see if I can pick up some useful info before I ask any questions that may have been covered previously.

Regards

Andy

Hello and welcome

A few pointers. To be effective, wet underfloor heating systems need to be properly designed in terms of insulation, flow, zoning and take due account of what the final floor covering is intended to be.

Underfloor systems are not as forgiving as a traditional wet radiator system - you have far less flexibility to “tweek” a poorly designed system to make it effective.

If combining an underfloor system with a traditional radiator system, the manifold (s) upstairs and down should (ideally) be as close to the heat source as possible. The pipework must be installed in a regular, even and consistent pattern and at an even depth. All joints must be free of any lateral stress. The pipe grid must not move when the first screed is poured ( generally I use two layers - the upper one being a thin self levelling epoxy based mix.

If you want a system where you walk across the room and feel an even consistent temperature, then you must do your homework properly. In my experience, most first time DIY systems end up delivering hot and cold patches and unbalanced zones that deliver inconsistent temperatures. Remember that flooring, such as engineered hardwood and wool carpet are fine with underfloor heating, but only if there is an even and consistent temperature rise.

The attached photo is of an 86m2 extension, taken just before testing. To give you an idea of the complexity of the system, it took an experienced technician two days to design and specify before we got to site.

They are interesting and straightforward projects, but once the screed is poured, that is the system that you have got!

4B653665-C5F8-400C-A730-C426651E3CDE.jpeg

Reply to Hello from a newbie with a project in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind toilet. There's a concrete patio outside the bathroom, that extends about 10 feet from the wall. I'm considering adding an ADU in the back yard, and it...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related? The...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
Hello. My name is Ştefan (or Steven, if you like). I'm from Bucharest, capital of Romania. Borned here, raised here. My passion for some old plumbing cames from the fact that I have a certain fascination for pre-1949 bigger apartament buildings in Bucharest (Bucharest is only one city in...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock