Search the forum,

Discuss Hello and advice please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,

So I’m another of these guys who is considering a career change to do gas engineering and would appreciate some advice from people in the know as to to if it’s a good idea or not.

As a complete newbie in my late 30’s, I’ve been investigating these MLP courses in my area but reading through some of the posts on here about this type of course has certainly raised questions, specifically around the building of a portfolio.

Speaking to a local college and another training company, I have been told that I should expect to spend around a 10-12 months working with someone to gain the necessary experience, but most recently I’ve also spoken to a company who say that I can complete the entire programme in 3 months, with only 2-3 weeks spent on the portfolio. I think this company are targeting to set people up as self-employed but to my mind there is no way I would feel ready to do this in this time. They say they provide their own engineers for me to do it with whereas the other company and college I have contacted have said I will need to find an employer myself. Incidentally this course is significantly more expensive than the others, let’s just say I wouldn’t get much change out of £9,000!

My instincts tell me this just feels like a quick fix so I would appreciate some honest thoughts. When considering this career I had thought of self employment as a potential option down the line, figuring that I would need to spend years gaining the right experience to do that.

What are people’s opinions in general on a MLP as a realistic way into the industry with a decent chance of finding work? Can anyone say how it is viewed by employers?

Apologies for the long first post, I’m just trying to get the best info I can before potentially spunking a load of cash away.

Thanks in advance.

Don't go anywhere near short courses/ x amount of months course (normally under 6 months)

Go the proper route eg collage, few days on site working etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hello and advice please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock