Search the forum,

Discuss Heating pipe insulation - advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have at last been investigating the plumbing in my home - we moved in about 18 months ago. I wanted to see what routes the pipes take. The property is a bungalow and all the heating pipes run from the garage at ceiling height into the loft space over the living area. From there the heating pipes descend mostly through a cupboard and into the floor.

The pipes are mostly hidden under the 2-2 inches of fibreglass insulation. When I moved this insulation to see the pipe runs I found that none of the heating or water pipes had any lagging. They are just bare copper under the fibreglass insulation. I know the heating was either installed or upgraded in 2011 (at least that is when the boiler was installed).

Would you advise me to insulate these pipes or does the fibreglass mat covering comply with any relevant regulations.

There are two sets of heating pipes. One pair (22 mm) is for the radiators. The second pair (15 mm) is for two towel rails and a radiator in an airing cupboard. Until recently the towel rail pipes were fed from the unzoned pumped heating and the other radiators fed from a zone valve controlled by the hall thermostat. The zone valve has been removed and all of the radiators now have Honeywell Evohome TRVs.

There are two 15 mm heating pipes (flow and return) in an cupboard which are very close together (about 15 mm)and I am doubtful that I would be able to get standard insulation on both of these

The hot and cold water pipes are both 22 mm. There is a hot water circulation pump which we do not use as it is not switched (just plugged into a 13 A socket) but does not help enough to get hot water to the far reaches of the property.
to warrant its use.

If the advice is to apply pipe lagging, what sort/supplier would your recommend as being cost effective. [Note there is one section above a utility room of about 2 metres which is inaccessible (there is less than a 50 cm access gap between a wall and the roof joists).]

If there's fibre glass all around it, it should be fine

It won't harm to add extra insulation but depends how close the pipes are to each other

Defo Lag them pal , any plumbers merchant will supply , or the likes of Wickes

Should definitely have their own proper insulation. Not to Regs if not insulated in this way.

Thanks for the response - it is more or less what I expected.

My nearest convenient stockist is Screwfix - is their own brand Pipe insulation OK or should I pay more for the branded product? I could also get to a Wickes or B&Q

Without actually measuring it I am guessing 30 m of 15 mm pipe and probably about the same of 22 mm pipe needs to be done.

Most of the pipework in the garage is insulated with the insulation held on using tie-wraps. Is this necessary or should it hold on to the pipe adequately without?

Do I need to tape the joins or bends?

The insulation is missing in the loft and airing cupboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating pipe insulation - advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all. The current towel rail is 1000mm x 600mm and ideally I'd like the pipes coming straight from the ground into the rail. The distance between pipe centres is 695mm. I can get a 750mm wide rail but the centres with that are 705mm and that additional 10mm could cause too much strain on...
Replies
Views
My towel rail is not electric but separate to central heating and has been working consistently but since the 2 port valve was replaced on Monday because the radiators were not working it has stopped working, if I go into the loft and press the flame button on and off it seems to come back to...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages and couldnt get to the bottom of it and I thought worth asking the elders on here for their view - Hot water temp is 40 Degrees - Ideal Mexico 2...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock