Search the forum,

Discuss Heating no hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

KingDoey

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening all, your thoughts please...

Friend of the family had trouble with heating last week. System is y plan. Went round no water in system.

Cleared blocked cold feed, filled system and tested all good.

Called today no hot water. Went to look. Call for hot water and mid position valve moves over correctly yet pump does not start.

Switch to heating, valve moves over and boiler fires all good. Put both on, valve moves to mid position, boiler goes out. As soon as hot water is selected regardless of what heating is doing the boiler shuts off.

Cant be cylinder stat or programmer could it? And have power off orange on mid position valve. So surely not that.

Stumped on this one anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I'd be testing power to and from tank stat. If I remember correctly, the 3 ports resting position is to feed hot water so when you call for hot water, no power is sent through the 3 port, it's goes from the programmer, through the tank stat and back to boiler and pump.

I'd be testing power to and from tank stat. If I remember correctly, the 3 ports resting position is to feed hot water so when you call for hot water, no power is sent through the 3 port, it's goes from the programmer, through the tank stat and back to boiler and pump.

Good shout Craig, I will check that. I overlooked it as assumed it was sound if valve moving over.

Would that affect it when calling for both though? So when heatings on, if you then put HW on aswell the boiler and pump go off

I think when calling for both, the programmer sends power to room stat, then to 3 port which motors it over to mid position, and thats it, a switch live back from the 3 port isn't necessary as the boiler is already powered by the tank stat. Its only when calling for heating only that the valve motors over fully and sends power down the orange wire.

I think when calling for both, the programmer sends power to room stat, then to 3 port which motors it over to mid position, and thats it, a switch live back from the 3 port isn't necessary as the boiler is already powered by the tank stat. Its only when calling for heating only that the valve motors over fully and sends power down the orange wire.

Cheers mate

Will try the cylinder stat tomorrow.

As Craig says. When calling for both the white wire is internally providing power to motor through a diode which is providing pulses of dc power to motor, enough to hold in mid position. Like he said for hot water only check feed from programmer to cylinder stat to boiler. What should happen is grey wire (HW OFF) de-energises, valve if not already will spring return to HW position, power from programmer goes through stat and to boiler, providing it’s all good.

Reply to Heating no hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Evening all. I have an open vented C/H system with a heat only boiler and 10 rads over 3 floors. I checked the system mid summer and all was ok. Now one radiator won’t get hot. ALL rads contain water, I have bled all rads. No hot water getting to flow pipe of cold rad. All other rads are...
Replies
Views
Customer complained of hot water tank getting hot when no demand Y plan system couldn't see any issues so I watched it Timer set to CH only, HW off Thermostat turned to on Heating comes on as normal, valve moved to CH position After around 20 minutes the 3 way valve moves to mid point and...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
I've just had a back boiler removed and combi boiler installed and have noticed that my radiators are heating up when using the hot water. I've been told this is due to the residual heat being moved around the system once the hot water is satisfied. But the radiators are heating up as soon as i...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated heat source and a oil boiler. The problem the hit water cylinder doesn't have a stat thus why the hot water is roasting hot but there is a pipe stat on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock