Search the forum,

Discuss Heating Cycle whats normal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Can anyone tell me what the acceptable hysteresis ie the switch off/on points of a room thermostat is. My wife always complains it's getting cold in that period between the thermostat switching off the heating and coming back on again to meet demand.?

It varies from make and model I believe. Have you looked at the manual for your particular model. Someone with better knowledge should be along soon

Depends on what type of thermostat you have installed. There's multiple types of stats out there but can put them into 2 categories, mechanical and digital.

Mechanical types vary but most common ones are using bimetallic strips which expand and contract at different rates based on temperature, causing metal to bend slightly in either direction accordingly. These types tend to take longer to switch back on again after temperature drop than the digital types which rely on a thermistor type sensor to monitor air temp.

Mechanical thermostats can take longer to switch on as they age.

Id recommended switching to a digital thermostat firstly for increased accuracy.

Though there could be other factors at play. It could be heat loss/heat input imbalance for the radiators to room coupled with boiler anti cycle delays.

Digital stat recommended as first stage as cheapest and easiest thing to change out.

As Master says above. Your room going cold during this period could be due to other factors as well.

Older mechanical thermostat could have a 4 or 5 degree hysteresis. Modern digital stats, which use an NTC thermistor to measure the temperature, usually have a half degree hysteresis.

From what you say, you must have a older stat. The Honeywell DT90E would be a suitable replacement.

Can anyone tell me what the acceptable hysteresis ie the switch off/on points of a room thermostat is. My wife always complains it's getting cold in that period between the thermostat switching off the heating and coming back on again to meet demand.?

You may have the boiler CH water temperature, i.e. the temperature of the water being sent to the radiators, set a bit high for the current relatively warm weather. Try reducing it a bit. The theory is that doing this will make the emitters (radiators) come on at a lower temperature for longer and reduce the fluctuating radiant component heat from the emitters, which makes a big difference to how people perceive the temperature.

Roughly speaking, the most comfortable heating systems are the ones that run continuously with emitters balanced to compensate for the building losses. So-called 'weather compensation' achieves this, when it's correctly set up.

If this doesn't work, see if @Nicola84 has another friend :)

Last edited:
Has the problem just started, or have you recently moved in, or what? Many roomstats have an accelerator heater, energised when the stat calls. This switches it off a bit sooner than if the heat had to arrive from the rads, and improves sensitivity. The heater needs a neutral wire, so 4 total, live (from the programmer or main switch), switched live, neutral and earth. Possibly it's never been wired right.

Actually your comment on correct place got me thinking. I realised the thermostat was placed in the part of the house which is a modern extension. The rest of the house is solid walls.

Think its pretty likely that you've found the issue.

Reply to Heating Cycle whats normal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock