Search the forum,

Discuss Heating Bedrooms Issue across 2 floors in 3 storey house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, I hope you can help. I am looking for advise to try to work out if my builder is fobbing me off again or giving good advise.

I live in a 3 storey 6 bedroom house. It has a Ideal Logic 24 boiler and we are having heating issues. (2 rooms on 3rd and 4 room on 2nd) with 1 x wireless thermostat currently on the 3rd floor. The house was completely rebuilt inside (back to 1st fix) due to insulation issues now fixed.

The system have been checked and balancing multiple times.

The radiators in the room on the top at the end of the system takes approx 30 minutes to get hot so the room never gets warm (currently 12 degrees) while the room other room on the same floor is approx 19.

If I move the wireless thermostat to the coldest room, our heating basically stays on the much longer and uses a ton of gas.

All rooms were tested again at 24 degrees (outside temp 14) and all rooms failed to get to temperature.

The builder has advised that they want to change the boiler and increase pressure to 2bar (currently 1.5) and put a programmable TRV in 1 room on the 3rd floor (coldest).

They wont show me the report from the 2nd lot of tests so I don't know if they are fobbing me off.

Can anyone advise if the boiler and pressure change will make much of a difference or will not improve anything as the global effect will be the same with rooms with the wireless stat also getting warmer quicker and turning off the heating.

What is the solution here for a controllable heating system in a house this size? and will the proposed works help?

A link to a report regarding the heating system prior to the boiler and rads being removed.

Dropbox - Heating_Report

How many radiators and what size are they?single or double panel?

Increasing pressure to 2 bar will do nothing good for the system.

Any photos of the current boiler and pipework?

Briefly .... altering pressure = hes fobbing you off .
Stat has to go to a cooler part of the house .
Move it down stairs and regulate the room temps with TRV’s .

Attached are some photos of the boiler and Cylinder.
3rd floor
Bed2 (2 x small single, 1 x double large), Bed6 (1 x double large, 1 x single small)

2nd Floor
Bed1 (2 single small rad), , Bed 3 (1 x medium rad, Bed4 (1 x single small rad), Bed 5 (1 x single medium rad).

The coldest part of the house is Bed6. It is 5 degrees different the room next door on the same floor (Bed2) so there is probably a geographical\design factor why Bed6 and Bed1 (Bed1 is below Bed6) have a issue.

If I put the wireless stat in Bed6 our gas bills jumped by 200% so we took it out again. Bed6 is not used very much so don't really want to be paying a fortune is heating for a room not used to much but it still needs to be usable when we want to use it..

All the doors in the rooms are shut during the day due to pets etc.

Attachments

• boilercylinder.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 11
Why are you putting the room stat in a bedroom?

If a system is working properly different rooms will be at different temperatures .....

Our boiler is upstairs, the room Stat is in the hall, and the valves on the opposite ends to the trvs are pretty much closed upstairs to get the circulation around all the downstairs radiators...

If you are hoping to get the whole house the same temperature, then you could find yourself chasing the end of a rainbow.

Hi,. The stat was originally in Bed1 before it was wireless. This stat only controls the Bedroom temps. The stat on the ground floor control the heat on the ground and hallways to on all floors. If I move the stat into the hallways out of the rooms it is influenced by the rads controlled from a different stat. If I move it into the rooms the the room with the stat gets cold.

Our issue if not all rads get warm at the same time with the 3rd floor taking the longest. The stat is at heads height so turns off when the room gets slightly warm but the heat does not get to floor level for the TRV to be effective.

It just feel that this house needs a smart type stat system to control each room individually.

^^ so you have 2 zones....

I would be looking at the zone covering the bedrooms.....

Hi All, Thanks for all the comments so far. In the early days of us moving in when we reported the cold the builder just chucked bigger rads to multiple rooms. Could they have pushed the system so the pump is not powerful enough. We have a Grundfos UPS025-60 130 which seems to have a flow rate of 1.0. The newer UPS2 pumps have a flow rate of 3.3. Could this be the solution?

grundfos.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating Bedrooms Issue across 2 floors in 3 storey house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Afternoon Fellas If anyone has time to help with this snag it'd be much appreciated. We have a wet-floor system controlled by John Guest UH3 and rather dated Heatmiser DT thermostats. One of the upstairs zones is combined for the bedroom/dressing room. So that's 2 rooms, 2 manifolds, but one...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I have 2 zones - one for bedrooms upstairs and another for the living areas downstairs. Now the plastering has been finished and I am costing the combi...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock