Discuss Heating an Airing Cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benwoodcock

I hope this isn't a silly question, but I imagine it may be a common one and I wondered how people dealt with it.

We're replacing an old hot water cylinder with a combi boiler, the cylinder was in the airing cupboard and the new boiler is now going downstairs.

We're putting in new radiators throughout the house, but I was wondering what to do in the cupboard to keep it functioning as an airing cupboard..
I could work out the size of radiator needed for the 'room' (about 250 BTU - can't imagine you can get them this small) or fit a small towel rail, but was thinking it would be more efficient (and cheaper) to run some 15mm pipework under each slatted shelf, with a bleed valve at the top and drain at the bottom.

Can anyone see any problems with this, or come up with a better solution?

As all have said, just a small rad, but not too small as you just need a thermostatic rad valve on it & turn it down.

Putting a TRV on a rad in an airing cupboard would rarely come on IMO.
No offence intended, its my opinion

Looks like it'll be a small rad then, and alter the lockshield valve until it's a good temperature.
I guess if you have a heat source at the base and a vent/grill top and bottom them you should get a flow of warm air up through the cupboard.

Thanks to all.

Putting a TRV on a rad in an airing cupboard would rarely come on IMO.
No offence intended, its my opinion
Good point, a therm valve would turn off & stay off for very long periods in a closed cupboard, even if it is turned high.

I used to put a small rad in, then realised it would only air the clothes when the heatin is on in winter, unlike when the hot water is on all year round.

So i now tell my customers just to put an electric heat tube in, them greenhouse heaters. They hardly use any eleccy, provide enough heat to air the cupboard, and can stay on all the time. Plus you can use the old immersion heater supply to plug it in.

Or i just tell them that airing clothes is sooo 1970's :D

ok they want to air the clothes but are they always going to put the heating on just to air the clothes in such a small space, i would reccomend a little oil fired electric heater, thats what i do imo

Even on high it would control at about 27 - 29. Warm enough for an airing cupboard for me. Each to their own though.

I used to put a small rad in, then realised it would only air the clothes when the heatin is on in winter, unlike when the hot water is on all year round.

So i now tell my customers just to put an electric heat tube in, them greenhouse heaters. They hardly use any eleccy, provide enough heat to air the cupboard, and can stay on all the time. Plus you can use the old immersion heater supply to plug it in.

Or i just tell them that airing clothes is sooo 1970's :D

Just turn it into a shower! Problem solved.

Image044.jpgImage043.jpg'just like that'

600 x 600 single panel rad, a nice £20 cheap option, no stat, but not a problem if you did, could put a copper rad in and connect to hot water pipework, very extreme, and expensive, I have done that many years ago, but 600 x 600 does the job, fine.
Little greenhouse heater is a good idea, especially if you had PV. Ha ha Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating an Airing Cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock