Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Have you been a mentor? in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

Whats yiur thoughts on mentoring?

Do you do it? And if so, do you charge?

Im meeting a lad on monday, he's a friend of friend, about me mentoring him to get his portfolio, ive spoken to the training officer at the tech and he said he has 8 weeks to get his jobs in, anything i should be wary off?

Cheers

2. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Will you have enough specific jobs to cover it?? Nothing worse than scratching for jobs for stuff like this

3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Be prepared to be 25% slower, at least. I have done it before but when I was on the cards.

4. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

Think so, i have a full system to install in the next few weeks, and my gentral day to day repairs and servicing should cover it i think

5. Vee

Vee Plumber GSR

Would you need to extend your PLI?

6. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

Apparently not, the college have sent me a copy of there insurance which covers him.

7. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

At least 30% slower than working solo and you need eyes in your backside. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

Yes if I do mentor him I'll not take my eyes off him. He's currently a car mech and bodywork sprayer, could be handy because the arches on my 10 year transit will need doing soon.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

Ok, I'm going to say this is possibly a big mistake.

I tell the guy to get an orange tee shirt like mine, as soon as he has the top we can go out on our first job, I wear a nice orange polo tee shirt, he turns up in a orange tee shirt with a massive ****ing guitar thing on it. I mean I did explain that I wanted him to look the part, so we look like we have a uniform. Also, his tee shirt was proper tight, I think he may have borrowed it from a child .ffs!!!

So we're on our first job, fire service .I explain how to pick up a coal bed , explain how they are very fragile and NOT to pick them up by the pointy out lugs, to get your fingers in under them, to support the weight of the bed as much as possible. I then show him what I mean and remove the coal bed.

Guess what happens when I instruct him to replace the coal bed. That's right, I'm £45 down.

Am I being to harsh? I've broken many coal beds but the tee shirt thing? It takes a special type of stupidity to turn up in an orange tee shirt you bought from sainsburys.

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

So, as part of me meeting him, I asked him where he wanted to go in the Gas industry, install or service and repair. He said S&R.

So after the fire service, (which was right near my and his house) I say, right I've got a part to fit, do you want to come, we'll be back here in an hour and half, this was 3pm. He said, no, I need an installation for my portfolio, when do you have an installation job on?

I mean seriously, never mind what 9k fast track college wants for your portfolio, you want a career in service and repair and I've got a broken boiler pre-diagnosed by me yesterday so you can do some testing/fault finding and see what you think it is, but no, he wants to go home.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Sounds like a lost cause and a headache for you tbh.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

I think I've just figured out what's going on. The lad told me he wants to be S&R but said the college doesn't want any service or repair evidence, he's on a fast track to be an installation guy, no wonder he looked confused when I asked him about ffds and double tightness testing, and just asked when I installation work on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

Ffs, I can do combi swaps but converting from system or gravity to fully pumped, bending pipe accurately and pipe layout is beyond my skill level, my soldering is only slightly above amateurish at best.

14. Harvest Fields

Get rid and move onto the next one.

15. Harvest Fields

My soldering isn’t great to be honest mate.