Search the forum,

Discuss Have to keep using filling loop to put pressure into system! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

My parents late 80's and early 90's live in a 3 bedroom semi. Ideal logic 30 combi boiler fitted in the bathroom provides heat and hot water. Radiators and original pipe work were put in by Dad 40 - 50 years ago, when it started life as a solid fuel driven system.

By the end of the winter in about March the system started to lose pressure, every 7-10 days, I had to open the filling loop and top it up to 1.5bar. In May June I got a local plumber, heating engineer to come and service the boiler and fit a filter. He said that it was a system with a lot of compression joints and that there was no obvious leak.

In the last couple of weeks as its got colder and they have started to put the heating back on again the pressure drops to zero in 24 hours. Still no obvious sign of leak on the pipe work that you can see or wet patches on ceilings.

Is there anything obvious that I need to be looking for. Is leak more likely to be on the hot water or heating side. How much water is likeley to be leaking between top ups, it takes about 1-2 minuets to bring it up to 1.5bar.
Thanks for reading.
Sticky.

You could possibly check the pipe which is leading outside if this constant wet. Perhaps put a balloon on and tie it up to see if water will be collected.

If not, then most likely your leak will in the ground floor which disappears into the ground. You could also check the cellar if there is anything obvious.

If you cannot find anything you should get an experienced engineer out and let him assess the job.

Hi

My parents late 80's and early 90's live in a 3 bedroom semi. Ideal logic 30 combi boiler fitted in the bathroom provides heat and hot water. Radiators and original pipe work were put in by Dad 40 - 50 years ago, when it started life as a solid fuel driven system.

By the end of the winter in about March the system started to lose pressure, every 7-10 days, I had to open the filling loop and top it up to 1.5bar. In May June I got a local plumber, heating engineer to come and service the boiler and fit a filter. He said that it was a system with a lot of compression joints and that there was no obvious leak.

In the last couple of weeks as its got colder and they have started to put the heating back on again the pressure drops to zero in 24 hours. Still no obvious sign of leak on the pipe work that you can see or wet patches on ceilings.

Is there anything obvious that I need to be looking for. Is leak more likely to be on the hot water or heating side. How much water is likeley to be leaking between top ups, it takes about 1-2 minuets to bring it up to 1.5bar.
Thanks for reading.
Sticky.
Try Mfd from Flowflex, easy to fit and will get you thro the winter while you look for the leak/s . These leaks are only tiny amounts of water which will evaporate before becoming visible.

Hi
Going over in the morning will try putting pressure in and watching to see what happens!!
The MFD looks interesting I'll see how it goes. The leak seems to be getting worse, it's got to become visable before it gets to waterfall proportions.
Thank you.

Sticky.

Hi

Put pressure in as suggested up to 1.2, turned heating on gauge rose to 1.4, then needle started to waver from side to side slightly.

Dont know if this is normal or strange!

Hi

Put pressure in as suggested up to 1.2, turned heating on gauge rose to 1.4, then needle started to waver from side to side slightly.

Dont know if this is normal or strange!

That’s fine, do not be tempted to bump,it up to 2 bar so you don’t have to do,it so often.
If you want an Mfd there are 80 left from the original production run before the re branding , you could have one a bit cheaper I expect msg me
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Could be pump moving it

Reply to Have to keep using filling loop to put pressure into system! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in the safe zone . When I switch boiler off the next day it’s back in the red It could be one of the valves leaking . Can I take the loop off , which...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
Hi all Moved to flat recently, and the heating is not very good. I realized the pressure is too low, below 1 bar. It is Meibes, product number 10920.26 OH5 So I am looking how to fix it. I am only a DIY'er, so bare with me. In the diagram you can see the fill loop mentioned, but that is not...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, We‘be recently moved into a property with a very old Potterton statesman. My husband bled the radiators last night…and since then he’s called all sorts of problems! There is now only one tiny radiator with heat in it. There is no pressure gauge on the boiler , I can’t find a full loop on...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock