Search the forum,

Discuss have I been mis sold bath taps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hannah Smith

Hi, we have bought "bath taps" from a very well known online bath company, when they arrived the plumbing sizes were 15mm not 22mm, I phoned and was customer services agreed I must have been sent basin taps by mistake so would investigate. After some chasing and speaking to someone else who also agreed at the company, I sent them back with a promise of a full refund inc p&p. They are now refusing my p&p on the basis they 15mm bath taps were correct and bath taps dont come as a standard size as we thought! Have sizes changed in recent years that ive not heard of? Surely its not bright to put 15mm tap plumbings onto 22mm pipes? Also they said I could have bought a tap connector plate? But cant seem to see these on their website? Advice would be very much appreciated as looks like I will going down trade description "unfit for purpose" claim as they are being so unhelpful and I think wrong! Many thanks

If you ordered 22mm bath taps and got 15mm basin taps then they are in the wrong pure and simple.

If they didn't stipulate the connection sizes then they didn't do much wrong. The taps were fit for purpose.
22mm comes from the days when everyone had gravity hot water systems as the larger bore pipe helped with flow rates. With combis and sealed systems 15mm is the standard as you waste much less hot water with smaller bore pipes.
You won't have a leg to stand on unless they specifically advertised the taps as being fit for 22mm pipework.
A plumber would have sorted the 'problem' in a few minutes by cutting back your feeds and converting to 15mm pipe with 1/2'' connectors.

The whole issue has become as they are absolutely NO measurements on their website and until now as people have helpfully told me they can come in different sizes these days. So yes we did assume 22mm was british standard size (the ones we now have are 22mm fitting but taper to 15mm at handles and spout but thats not a problem). They wont admit any liability even though the 1st 2 people in their support team also thought they were the wrong size but suddenly at the point of refud theyre saying theyre not and tough! We dont have a plumber as yet so have had to go on our clearly now outdated knowledge! Will still persue my issues with them though thanks for all the advice so far!

They should have decided 15mm was O.K BEFORE they asked you to send them back.

Quote "I sent them back with a promise of a full refund inc p&p."

Ive never came accross bath taps with 15mm tails yet, , Hannah Smith do you have a combi boiler as they would be ok if you have, if not you will have to check the purchase page you bought the taps (specs) and see what it says,,

Post the link for the taps. Its all very much he says, she says. Did you get it in writing that they would refund in full inc p and p.

Have I been knocked on the nut and been in a coma for a decade ?
Bath taps are 3/4 basin taps 1/2 .
I am on the side of Hannah I also did see on the bay a listing
Bath/Basin taps for sale at ??? just about between scrap and cheapest retail price .
The seller I did not think knew the diff between the two I knew a scrappy who sold these at markets/carboots they were rcap.!!

If they called them bath taps, - or you used the exact words when ordering, then it is strange that they would send 15mm taps & in my opinion, at least partly their fault.
Nowadays, most ordinary 22mm bath taps come with the smaller 1/2" works & not the older 3/4" works, but while this does reduce flow in gravity systems, the bigger bore 22mm tap often will have better flow than a 15mm tap.

Hi, we have bought "bath taps" from a very well known online bath company, when they arrived the plumbing sizes were 15mm not 22mm, I phoned and was customer services agreed I must have been sent basin taps by mistake so would investigate. After some chasing and speaking to someone else who also agreed at the company, I sent them back with a promise of a full refund inc p&p. They are now refusing my p&p on the basis they 15mm bath taps were correct and bath taps dont come as a standard size as we thought! Have sizes changed in recent years that ive not heard of? Surely its not bright to put 15mm tap plumbings onto 22mm pipes? Also they said I could have bought a tap connector plate? But cant seem to see these on their website? Advice would be very much appreciated as looks like I will going down trade description "unfit for purpose" claim as they are being so unhelpful and I think wrong! Many thanks

I mean of course you can hook them up no probs its only a case of reducing the 22mm piopes below bath , the only difference you will see is the pressure

you should have got 3/4 (22mm) taps if you specified a bath tap,plain and simple in my view

Guys I really appreciate all this helpful feedback - my husband and stepfather are good at dabbling in most diy areas but neither had heard of 15mm bath taps either.
will try to post a link but if not is Victoria plumb - alexa wall mouted bath filler (halfprice ÂŁ59.99)...

The blurb says that they are suitable for gravity systems. Not sure I'd want to put 15mm pipework/ 1/2" taps on gravity!

Yes our is a gravity fed system, and yes Lame I now know my errors of using them (weve got a whole vanity unit waiting to be fitted im dreading what we will unearth with it!). Had there had been spec's on the website of course it would've been my error (or would've seen it & not even bought it!) but like many of you I thought "bath filler" would fit bath piping - oops! & sadly all of this has been done through telephone so nothing in writing but that doesn't mean I wont go away! I have never come across such arrogant & unhelpful customer services from them & even shouted at me! Well regardless of my outcome I wont be buying there again!

would it not be easy to change the pipe to 15mm with a couple of reducers , mains comes into house on 15mm and it does ok in regards to pressure/ flow rates , 22mm just before the taps should work fine.

would it not be easy to change the pipe to 15mm with a couple of reducers , mains comes into house on 15mm and it does ok in regards to pressure/ flow rates , 22mm just before the taps should work fine.

Hi - sure if they would have told us this was what we could do - instead I phoned to say the taps that came were 15mm thick & the chap said to me before I went any further to say "oh, well theryre not big enough you need 3/4", & stated there mustve been a manufacturing error & sent report to the "tech team" - they will ring you tomorrow. 3 days later I chase it as no call - told by 2nd person yes can see there must be some error still awaiting tech team, we will ring you tomorrow. 2 days later they call me - no mistake but as there was no specification send back for full p&p, use parcelforce & add a copy of p&p to packet & we will refund it on receipt. Did so, get email to say refund taps & their p&p, no sound on mine. Phone them & all hell brakes loose, I was told all THREE other people told me wrong things, they are not plumbing trained so wouldn't know I would need a connector set (no mention of this on their site or in recommendations etc) yet later said "it doesn't take a plumber to know you needed a connector set, its not their fault there are no specs on website its MY fault for buying online without ringing them (from an online company!), among MANY other things! But had they have given me your advice I would have nice taps in by now and a happier mood!

a pair of basin taps on a bath??
a pair of bath taps on a basin??
is this world goin mad??
next thing yer know they will be making cake out of fish

I've been reading this one with interest.

Up until about 10 years ago, I would have given a categoric answer. Basin or sink taps = 1/2" bsp tail. Bath tap, bath filler or bath/shower mixer = 3/4" bsp tail.

But these days we are very used to basin mixers with 8mm, 10mm or 12mm tails.

And the fancier the bath mixer, the more likely it is to come with some weird connection. The vast majority are still 3/4" or 22mm, but it is far from universal.

Its quite clear that the customer service people at the supplier range between "a bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" and "totally clueless".

For what its worth, I don't think you have a leg to stand on, unless you specified that you wanted 3/4"/22mm connections. The problem is that there is no expertise on either end of this transaction. Its the blind leading the blind.

Get as much refund as you can blag, and then either get a good, recommended plumber involved, or if you must do-it-yourself, get down to your local independent bathroom showroom or plumbers merchant and get advice from people who know what they are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! And the more fancy looking the bath filler is, the less practical it is.

Does it come with 1/2" / 15mm connections? Yes

Will it take 45 mins to fill a bath? Yes

When it drips in 5 years will the plumber have a nightmare getting a part? Yes

Will there be any spare tiles in the garage for him to replace for a proper branded one? There better be!!

Last edited:
Looking at the tap on the link its gash. As for VP then you are getting the better end of their customer service. They tend to be fine until something goes wrong.

Far better letting a plumber know what you want and them source it or directly from your nearest merchant.

The link shows me a through-the-wall filler that doesn't actually touch the bath, there's probably no standard sizes for these as they have only become popular in the last decade or so, so won't have established sizes from back in the day when baths were 3/4 inch hard as nails-sturdy as you like quality copper feeds.
Normal bath taps would mostly be 22mm or 3/4 inch connections but the market is flooded with euro/chinese imports and you can't ever guarantee you'll get the old sizes, I've seen 15mm tails on bath monos, never fitted a 'Grohe' bath tap but it's probably anyones guess what size they use, I know the sink taps I have done from Grohe have had 3/8 inch connections, they had me scratching my head for a few minutes when I first fitted one ;)

Like what's been said already, I've fitted many bath taps and fillers that have been 15mm. A good supplier will be able to supply the correct goods. With mains pressure systems becoming more common and more taps being produced abroad this will be the norm. Also saving water comes into the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to have I been mis sold bath taps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock