Search the forum,

Discuss Hard Water and eczema in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi looking for a bit of advise for anyone who has experience with the following.

Since moving house I have developed eczema, I have narrowed it down to me having hard water.

Does anyone have any experience with using a water filter to try and combat this.

I have seen just shower head sets up but not a fan.

The aquabion looks ideal for my situation.

Does anyone have any experience in this situation, if so can you offer some insight.

Thank you

There is a difference between temporary hardness and permenant hardness in supplied water. So things like syphos crystals and some treatments inc. the magnetic ones are good to deal with water which is immediately used for heating but not for stored water. My wife suggests
using special soap but I say wack a decent treatment unit in
and look after it, so often when lived and traded in Bath the numpties would not refill with salt...it will also make you washing of clothes better if you install it in the correct position. I would not want to drink treated water but others on here might know more....let us know what you do
Centralheatking

There is a difference between temporary hardness and permenant hardness in supplied water. So things like syphos crystals and some treatments inc. the magnetic ones are good to deal with water which is immediately used for heating but not for stored water. My wife suggests
using special soap but I say wack a decent treatment unit in
and look after it, so often when lived and traded in Bath the numpties would not refill with salt...it will also make you washing of clothes better if you install it in the correct position. I would not want to drink treated water but others on here might know more....let us know what you do
Centralheatking

Thanks for the feedback!

I have been recommended aquabion by another plumber. If you or yourself have any products they can suggest I am all ears

Joe

I'm interested in this subject also. Living in the North we've never had much issues with Hard Water or experienced it much until recently. After our local water supplier had an infection in the water two years ago I believe they are now man making hard water to treat the water, resulting in bad limescale and i've now got rather bad skin which I'm putting down to the water also.

So having never fitted a water softener before or had any experience with them, what's the best make/model and how do you go about it? Does any drinking water taps have to come before the softener, or can it come after? Also do you see a reduction in your flow rates?

In our house we have balanced supplies from the PRV on the unvented cylinder so it would be easy to fit a softener at this point. However this supplies all our drinking taps also and would be impossible to alter if needed to.

Do some research, plenty out in internetland

Drinking (hard water) and garden supply must be tapped off before softener.

Preferred models use block salt, easier to handle that granular/pebble salt.

Stuff (magnetic/other) that attaches to cold water supply is like snake oil

In fact do a search on this forum

Hard water will damage your skin, which is causing skin conditions such as eczema, according to some reports. However, I would suggest you install a water softener in your home. Soft water does not cure eczema but it has been found to be much safer for the skin. Water softeners strip unwanted minerals from your home's water, making it more suitable for bathing and other household tasks including washing.

Harvey or Kinetico for me also if your budget will stretch to it, these are block salt softeners and require no electric for operation as said above the kitchen tap needs to be hard water and any outside tap for garden use, don't drink softened water ok for brushing teeth but again don't drink , second best is a tablet type softener Tapworks ad11 is a reasonable unit fitted quite a few of these both units will remove hardness, plumbing via a unvented cylinder is a good way to go use the balance cold water for the bathrooms, the cold water supply to the combination valve needs to come via the softener then all hot and colds are softened again a hard water supply is needed at the kitchen sink , a activated charcoal filter at the kitchen sink will remove bad tastes , and odours . Kop

Hi looking for a bit of advise for anyone who has experience with the following.

Since moving house I have developed eczema, I have narrowed it down to me having hard water.

Does anyone have any experience with using a water filter to try and combat this.

I have seen just shower head sets up but not a fan.

The aquabion looks ideal for my situation.

Does anyone have any experience in this situation, if so can you offer some insight.

Thank you
Where abouts do you live, I lived in Bath which has very hard water. There are numerous medical studies about this problem. A well maintained water softener is the only real answer. In the meantime rinse your skin with cheap bottled water as it’s the sludge that blocks the pores in your skin also visit the sports centre as they will have softened water. Centralheatking

Reply to Hard Water and eczema in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock