Search the forum,

Discuss Hanging radiators on stud plasterboard walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Folks,

I'm plumbing 3 radiators in tomorrow and the customer is keen for their walls not to be chopped up to place battens behind to support the radiators.

Has anyone any experience of using hollow wall anchors to support radiators? The largest one will be a 1100x600 double radiator with 4 fixing points.

If they didn't want battens behind the wall would you do this or walk away?

Thanks!

Hung larger radiators using Rawlplug heavy duty hollow wall plugs, Small packs available from B&Q, screwfix etc.:)

Bought some Fischer Rawlplug anchors for plasterboard, you know, the ones you screw in (need a biggish hole) then the anchors spring out behind the plasterboard. Reckon they will be up to the job?

That is definitely a big rad for a plasterboard wall, I would suggest a single. However I have done this before and I reinforced the wall with 12mm ply. That rad is going to be very heavy with water in ...not so keen on those hollow wall anchors either . Maybe the stud and screw to that otherwise I would definateley reinforce the wall or it could bite you in the rse when her kids decide to lean on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is definitely a big rad for a plasterboard wall, I would suggest a single. However I have done this before and I reinforced the wall with 12mm ply. That rad is going to be very heavy with water in ...not so keen on those hollow wall anchors either . Maybe the stud and screw to that otherwise I would definateley reinforce the wall or it could bite you in the arse when her kids decide to lean on it.

totally agree,if you must use plasterboard fixings then butterflys or collapserbles,but any thing like worm or screw fixings not up to it if in doubt ply the wall

i agree long as you get the correct size of hollow wall anchor to suit the plasy board spot on been doin them for years and no probs but they must go in straight and for the big rad put a couple extra anchors in the slots as well as the holes on the brackets for extra support jobs a gid in

Bought some Fischer Rawlplug anchors for plasterboard, you know, the ones you screw in (need a biggish hole) then the anchors spring out behind the plasterboard. Reckon they will be up to the job?

They're fine to do the job, ive used to hang boilers before :)

I agree with the Fischer ones. I first tried these a while back and pulled the radiator after fixing. Told customer if the radiator was going to fall off the wall, then the whole plasterboard was going to come off with it.

I would use spring toggles and glue behind brackets to help spread the load
the trick with toggles is to drill the right size hole using a spade wood bit
if you get a clean cut hole it doesnt knock a chunk out of the rear of the baord which weakens it
use the largest toggles that will fit through the slots in the brackets and double check the backets the right way up before you push into wall ive been known to cry when ive had to sacrifice two toggles as the brackets upside down

Last edited:
I would use spring toggles and glue behind brackets to help spread the load
the trick with toggles is to drill the right size hole using a spade wood bit
if you get a clean cut hole it doesnt knock a chunk out of the rear of the baord which weakens it
use the largest toggles that will fit through the slots in the brackets and double check the backets the right way up before you push into wall ive been known to cry when ive had to sacrifice two toggles as the brackets upside down
Steve, could the spring toggle set up also be used on wall hung bathroom basin, mounted to plasterboard wall or do you need to fit a noggin internally( because of the possible leverage)?
Cheers

Steve, could the spring toggle set up also be used on wall hung bathroom basin, mounted to plasterboard wall or do you need to fit a noggin internally( because of the possible leverage)?
Cheers

A wall hung basin would need wood noggins to fix correctly and safely as does a boiler
You mention possible leverage and you also have the same problem with the rads,600mm nice height to perch on
The first thing that was said was customer not keen on wall cut out but if thats what needs doing to secure right,it is not for the customer to say this or that,if you listened to customers you would be in a right pickle,they probably do not even know how the wall is made and think the plaster board is the main wall and support
Once you have neatly cut two small strips out fitted batons and fixed rad,they will not even see,or stick a fix a section of 1/4" ply behind and fix brackets to that
A few years ago would maybe thought about fixed large rads to plaster board but no now,the quality of board if so poor now,the plaster is not so strong and the card covering can just peel off,I have fixed brackets to board and stuck bracket back to board for smaller rads and found just pull off and card covering just comes away like you were peeling paper sheet out of pad
If a customer does not want a baton behind a large rad,they do not know how weak plaster board is,take a bit with you and show them how easily it breaks,they soon change there mind
And when rad falling off wall they tend to forget they said they did not want batons and you do not have a spring toggle to stand on,plus a few big holes in the plaster board

think i will defo agree,how do you sleep at night kip?

Wrong plugs in mind, when he explained what they do i thought they were the kind i had used..

Dont know the specific name of the ones i use...Make your hole, push them in and use this gun kind of thing to pull the screw that is in the plug towards you and as it does this it butterflys the back of the plug clamping between the head of the plug and the rear of the board. Ill try find a name of these now...

[DLMURL="http://www.thesitebox.com/Product/184848/hollow-wall-anchor.aspx"]Hollow Wall Anchor | Buy Hollow Wall Anchor online at THESITEBOX.COM[/DLMURL]

This is them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hanging radiators on stud plasterboard walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock