Search the forum,

Discuss Hammering,shuddering pipes curtesy of my neighbour..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

karena

Hello all,
Yesterday my neighbour ( who lives below me) had a second-hand washing machine installed. The minute she started to use it, there was an almighty banging, shuddering and physical movement of my cold water mains pipe. It lasts for about 20 to 30 seconds and happens 3 or 4 times.....so I'm thinking it's when the machine draws water over the course of a cycle. We obviously share the main water pipe before it branches off to our own meters but I'm concerned that all this banging and shuddering will cause the pipe joints to split.
Could it be vibration due to pipes not being secured at her end properly or maybe something faulty in the machine itself?
Any help on this would be appreciated.
Ta
Karena.

Hello Karena. Probably a combination of a couple of issues.
The pressure in the mains supply is very likely quite high. A pressure reducing valve at mains pipe where it enters building might help.
Also pipes should be clipped nicely.
A shock arrester valve at your neighbours washing machine is also something they might need.
You should ask your neighbour to sort it

Probably why the first people gave the machine away lol... Some appliances snap the water off too fast causing water hammer...

They could get a washing machine shock arrestor, available from toolstation

in the event of any joints failing and flooding the place...dont worry downstairs will get wet first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hammering,shuddering pipes curtesy of my neighbour..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I've got water hammer issues with my cold feed and some with the hot feed. When the cold sink tap, cold bath tap and thermostatic shower in the main bathroom is opened and closed there are hammering sounds from the living room ceiling. It sounds like knocking. There's no hammering whilst...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor flat above it, and both share the same mains water pipe, and I believe the stopcock behind the washing machine isolates all water to both properties...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've had an on going issue for over a year now and can't seem to get an answer. Hopefully can get some more information from the forum. If I use the cold or hot water taps in my kitchen or bathroom, 10, 20, maybe 30 mins later it sounds as if the pipes have water running through them, as if...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock