Search the forum,

Discuss had an information session on 6129 last night in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jono1987

Hi All,

had an info session last night at college about the changes to plumbing etc etc. Ill try and explain it simply but if any of you want to know anything specific feel free to PM me.

Basically the 6129 is not being scrapped, its just that as of next year it will only be available to apprentice plumbers and an apprenticeship will be the only way to get into plumbing, unless you have have completed or enrolled on the tech cert by the end of the year.

Now, at my specific college they have condensed the tech cert into a 1 year course as again as of next year you cant enroll on it, this will mean 2 evenings a week with practical assessments on a saturday. Once complete you will have 5 years to turn the tech cert into an NVQ.
They claim that with a tech cert i can get onsite with a plumber (not as an apprentice) maybe a labourer or mate and enrol on the nvq course and the onsite experience will get me nvq 2 qual.

This is the last time the tech cert will be offered so anyone wanting a career change will have to do an apprentice route (certainly something i am not to keen on - financail reasons).

Now the snag - as there is no funding, the course will be full cost - £2750 and thats just to cover city and guilds, colleges will then have their own payment requests for assessments etc etc !

I hope this helps and made sense

hi mate ive had some info a bit like yours altough my info from college varies slightly from your own.

the new framework 6128 plumbing diploma will come into play at my college in september, and this is the full cost course, the price of this so i have been told is 600-700, like i say thats at my college, the reason its so cheap is because its new, thats what ive been told by the head of learning at my college.

the 6129 will continue to run until next june even if you have employment or not and this course will be fully funded, as long as you meet the criteria. but if you start the 6129 and have no placement you cannot then decide to change onto the nvq, you would have to complete the course and then restart the year after on the 6128 plumbing diploma.

its all a mess if you ask me, tutors and the likes at college dont really have any solid info, this they say is down to city & guilds not giving them the info they need, also from your info it sounds like price is varying from college to college.

if you do get any more info please post, as will i.

cheers

andy

hi mate ive had some info a bit like yours altough my info from college varies slightly from your own.

the new framework 6128 plumbing diploma will come into play at my college in september, and this is the full cost course, the price of this so i have been told is 600-700, like i say thats at my college, the reason its so cheap is because its new, thats what ive been told by the head of learning at my college.

the 6129 will continue to run until next june even if you have employment or not and this course will be fully funded, as long as you meet the criteria. but if you start the 6129 and have no placement you cannot then decide to change onto the nvq, you would have to complete the course and then restart the year after on the 6128 plumbing diploma.

its all a mess if you ask me, tutors and the likes at college dont really have any solid info, this they say is down to city & guilds not giving them the info they need, also from your info it sounds like price is varying from college to college.

if you do get any more info please post, as will i.

cheers

andy

Yes it does seem we are being told different. We didnt even get offered the diploma !! i did however ask about this and was told that is for apprentices !!

As regards to once you have completed the diploma i was told you can do a normal NVQ, the main objective is that as of next year people will not be able to do the tech cert and then go out on their own completing jobs as effectively as cowboys because they have no experience of a real life situation - everything is set to be easy in college !!
Why nobody ever thought of making it illegal for someone to trade as a plumber with only a tech cert when these quals came out is beyond me but then again common sense is not all that common !

the 6129 is being scrapped, well discontinued anyway, its just that the 6128 isnt ready so they will run with the 6129 for 1 more year

ive just found out im apparently doing 6128 with train 4 trade skills, i thought i was doing 6129. is it worth me sticking with the 6128 or trying to change it to 6129 so i can go onto an nvq2 aslong as i get sign on to it by december

the 6128 is a heating and ventilation course, not a plumbing one. with either you can upgrade to the NVQ2 in the same discipline

thats strange as speaking to the people at train4trade skills they said i cant go from 6128 to nvq2, said im going to have to do 6129 before i go for nvq2

thats not the case benc, you can go onto the nvq2 via 6128, i think your training provider may be looking at getting a bit more of your hard earned off you for the 6129.

all the info you need is on the city and guilds website.

hope this helps.

thats not the case benc, you can go onto the nvq2 via 6128, i think your training provider may be looking at getting a bit more of your hard earned off you for the 6129.

all the info you need is on the city and guilds website.

hope this helps.

im really confused im being told different things all the time. i couldnt find much info on the C&G website but i have sent them an email, so i will see what they say.

thanks for the reply andy

ben, they are different courses mate, not the same trade, you couldnt do a tec cert in joinery then an nvq in plumbing. 6128 is NOT plumbing, thats why you would need a 6129 to do a plumbing nvq, hope this helps mate

BenC

I did exactly the same as you suggested started doing 6128 up to module 13 then changed to 6129 all the same modules except for sheet lead and later sections etc. 6129 does naturally lead into NVQ2 but be warned its very difficult unless you are in the trade to get a NVQ2 but do agree that the industry need time served plumbers rather than trying to fast track the skills gap

BenC

I did exactly the same as you suggested started doing 6128 up to module 13 then changed to 6129 all the same modules except for sheet lead and later sections etc. 6129 does naturally lead into NVQ2 but be warned its very difficult unless you are in the trade to get a NVQ2 but do agree that the industry need time served plumbers rather than trying to fast track the skills gap

im not convinced there is a skills gap, not at L2 anyway

im not convinced there is a skills gap, not at L2 anyway
i agree with that, plenty of plumbers around my way but very little gas safe plumbers all though not many areas around where i live have mains gas, hence why im not that intrested in becoming gas safe

This is very interesting as I currently have Train4TradeSkills Plumbing Home Study Course for sale that leads to C&G 6129 qualification. I have validated that there are no transfer fees.

Please see ebay listing number 190437132533

Any questions please do so through the ebay messaging service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to had an information session on 6129 last night in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock